Download Page

FrequentC
FrequentC
Community Member

Why can't I send my family to the Download Page of your site ( https://agilebits.com/downloads ) to get the v6 beta for Windows?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• margeau
    margeau
    Community Member

Hi @FrequentC,

I am another user and perhaps I could help get your family's access to 1PW resolved. I am not sure I understand your situation perfectly, may I ask a few questions?

Do you have a Family account or a previously purchased stand alone product licensed for 5 family users?

If you have an account your family members will log into your account online. This article is a brief overview of the set-up process: https://support.1password.com/1password-setup/

if you have a stand alone licensed product they would need to download and install software. Would this be a new install or are you trying to update from an older Windows version? Can you describe a little about what is going wrong when they attempt to reach or use the web page at your link?

There are lots of helpful people on this forum so let us know a bit more about your situation. I am sure your issue will get sorted out.
    Margeau

• FrequentC
    FrequentC
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

The problem is you can't get the version they need to install (v6) from the main downloads page of the 1Password website ... it forces you to download "1Password Version 4.6.0.604" (even if you enable betas you still get v4) which really screws things up for using a family account on Windows.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

Hi @FrequentC,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry for any confusion.

Since 1Password 6 for Windows is still in beta, it's not linked directly from https://agilebits.com/downloads

It's also a brand new app from the ground up, so 1Password 4 for Windows betas will not include 1Password 6 betas. It's a silly technical distinction you shouldn't have to worry about. I think we both agree on that. But that's the temporarily confusing reality at the moment. I'd recommend using the link margeau provided above:

Get started with 1Password (Windows)

You'll notice that the first step under "Set up the apps" is:

Additionally, once you sign in to your account on 1Password.com, click your account name in the top right and choose Get the Apps. The download links for all the correct versions of 1Password that work with your 1Password account will be listed alongside your QR code, which will make signing in to your account in the apps super easy. :)

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

• FrequentC
    FrequentC
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

I worked at a place where people made overly technical decisions about simple things and came up with solutions like the one above. That company has long since been out of business.

I'm sure when you all were in High School you learned about K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid) .....

Q) Is it software that people can download?
    A) Yes
    Q) So should we put it on the Downloads page?
    A) No .. let's make it difficult to find instead of put it conveniently in the first place any rational person might look for it.

You can have version 4 and 6 beta on the same page ya know? Just explain the difference in the description. Ta' Da'!

Just sayin

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FrequentC: Yep! Excellent points, but I hope that you'll appreciate that not everyone is as excited as you and I are about using the 1Password 6 beta. And frankly it should be difficult to access prerelease software. Not everyone understands the distinction, regardless of your own position. We're looking forward to a stable release that we can recommend to everyone. Thanks for helping us work toward that! :)

• FrequentC
    FrequentC
    Community Member

I think you're still missing the point .... excited or not. It should be on the downloads page.

You're really over thinking it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FrequentC: I'm not sure it's a matter of "should", but regardless it will definitely be there once the new app is finalized. You can't stop me from being excited for that! ;)

• FrequentC
    FrequentC
    Community Member

I give up

• Sorry, FrequentC. I think you've made a very valid point, and I'll bring it up with our development team.

Ben

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I hope my post above wasn't taken as disagreeing with you, FrequentC. I do agree with you. I was merely trying to point you in the right direction while we work to improve things.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.