Using 1PW on untrusted systems

Hi
I've been using 1Pw for some time and I'm very happy but I'm starting a new job soon which means I'll be using a number of untrusted computers at various locations from which I'd like to be able to access my logins.
What's the easiest way to access my logins? (other than Dropbox as I'm not entirely trusting of them). I'd ideally like to be able to wipe my data as soon as I stop using said computers.

Many thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 460604
Extension Version: 458
OS Version: Win8.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @seedy,

Congratulations on the new job.

We generally don't recommend using 1Password on untrusted systems, there's no way of knowing in advance how compromised they are. We recommend that if you need to, you use 1Password on a mobile device if you have one and type it in, this isolates the potential compromise to a specific few logins you've used instead of your whole 1Password database.

You said you'd want to wipe your data, do you mean wiping the drive or manually removing the 1Password data off the drive? You can store the file on a USB drive and use 1Password to open the file there but you have to remember that 1Password does automatic backups, so you'd need to remove the backups in the Documents > 1Password > Backups directory.

There's also the ability to use 1Password.com web app if you have a 1Password.com account, there's an option to turn on the public computer state and it'll reset as soon as you sign out.

• seedy
    seedy
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

Thanks for your reply @MikeT.
    I was intending to manually remove the 1Password data off the drive. A preloaded USB is probably the way to go (with automatic backups turned off (?) on that device/installation).
    Where would I find info on the 1Password.com app ?
    Is there any way to use 1Password with PortableApps ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@seedy: 1Password isn't a portable app, but if you're using a 1Password Account (associated with an Individual, Family, or Team subscription) you could use a portable version of a web browser to use 1Password.com web interface.

• seedy
    seedy
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty I just needed that confirmed. I'll give that a try.

• Hi @seedy,

A portable version of 1Password is what we want to do in the future but it is not high on our list at the moment.

• seedy
    seedy
    Community Member

Understandable @MikeT. If a USB with PortableApps and the portable FF app prove usable, that should be fine for my needs.
    Many thanks

• Excellent, let us know if there's anything else we can do to help. Even sharing your experience with us will be useful for others who may be in your situation.

This discussion has been closed.