Using WLAN instead of Wi-FI

ollifi
ollifi
Community Member

650015 introduced the following change:

[IMPROVED] Changed the naming of Wi-Fi sync to WLAN sync. {OPI-3633}

I was quite surprised of this. Wi-Fi word is used very widely around iOS, and suddenly you'd like to use totally different word. I think it'd be easiest for user to be able to use 1Pw with same functionality names as they've got used to while using iOS.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Good morning @ollifi. Thanks for taking the time to write in about this change. This one was actually born out of a necessity to reduce some fundamental confusion our other customers were having. Many folks did not equate "Wi-Fi Sync" with syncing over a wireless area network. Instead, they thought Wi-Fi sync was the gateway to syncing their data using Wi-Fi as opposed to cellular data. Changing the wording to WLAN Sync is certainly a bit more jargon-y, but folks looking for that option will know what it means and others just wanting to sync their data via iCloud or Dropbox will no longer be confused.

• ollifi
    ollifi
    Community Member

Okay... I expect it's still ok to keep using Wi-Fi in Finnish translation?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ollifi: I think we'll be using "WLAN Server" (or similar) across the board, but there will certainly be some variation. For example, I don't know what the best Finnish word for "server" might be. :lol:

As Rooni mentioned, everyone uses Wi-Fi at home nowadays, so a lot of folks were assuming that's how they should sync their 1Password data as well. For some this is a good fit, but for many, the very fact of this confusion was self-selecting for people who weren't comfortable with configuring network settings that are necessary for local sync to function. It's been a long time in coming.

• ollifi
    ollifi
    Community Member

Okay, thanks for clarifying :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! Thanks for bringing it up. :chuffed:

• quantum3
    quantum3
    Community Member

Syncing to iOS using this option only uses the local wifi network and therefore just LAN not WAN, doesn't exit internal wifi network correct?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

That's correct, @quantum3.

WLAN -> Wireless Local Area Network … emphasis on Local (your internal Wi-Fi network)
    WAN -> Wide Area Network … emphasis on Wide? :)

This discussion has been closed.