Changing internet providers.

Options
rvenneman
rvenneman
Community Member

I'm changing internet providers. How will this effect my 1Password account?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Changing internet providers, how will this effect 1 Password?

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @rvenneman,

Interesting question.

For the most part your internet provider shouldn't have any impact on your usage of 1Password. There are a couple of things a provider could do that could potentially cause difficulties though...

• Force the use of a VPN or proxy server - these may affect your ability to connect to the 1Password.com service or interfere with the interaction between the browser extensions and 1Password
    • Provide anti-virus software that conflicts with 1Password

Those are really the only things I can think of, and they'd be very uncommon. If you do run into any difficulties please let us know and we'd be happy to help!

Ben

• rvenneman
    rvenneman
    Community Member
    Options

Aloha Ben and thank you.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Ben can you say more about potential issues with VPN.

When I am not at home I usually have VPN running on my iPad. I haven't needed to use 1PW when away, so I don't know if there are any problems.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danco: Essentially in most cases it won't make a difference. 1Password uses two different types of connections that could be affected:

• Local: 1Password needs to be able to communicate with its extensions in the desktop browser. This all happens without leaving the machine to go out onto the internet, but a poorly configured VPN or proxy may route local communications out over the internet.
    • Internet: When using 1Password.com or a 3rd party sync service, you'll need to have a secure connection or it won't work. Some software can interfere with this. In the worst cases you'll know, because nothing else will work either. But in "milder" cases, many website will just sort of not care that something or someone is inserting themselves between you and them. 1Password.com in particular is super strict about this.

But as I said, this isn't to imply that anyone using a VPN or proxy will suffer these issues. There are some fine providers and packages out there, so most of us won't have to worry about it. But we're here if anyone runs into trouble. :)

This discussion has been closed.