Can't Access Family Vaults

Options
bharrison
bharrison
Community Member

I recently upgraded to the family edition and created a shared vault for passwords we all use. I am on a Mac and for a period of time, my shared vault showed-up just fine. Then the shared vault disappeared and I was only able to see my primary, personal vault. I checked the preferences and tried to add a family account, but I am told my master password is incorrect. I have no trouble using my master password to access my personal vault, but it won't work when I try to log into the web admin console or to add a shared vault from within the 1password mac app. Any idea what's going on here and how to correct it?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @bharrison,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. It sounds like your "personal vault" is still a "local vault" (i.e. not part of the 1Password Families account). It also sounds like you have a different Master Password for your local vault than for your 1Password Families account.

If you're unable to remember the Master Password to login to your 1Password Families account you'll need to have another owner on the account recover it for you:

Change or recover your Master Password

Once you've done so you may want to move your content from your local vault(s) into 1Password Families vaults:

How to migrate to a family or team

Once all of your data is in the 1Password Families account you can uncheck the 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts. From then on you'll use your Master Password for the 1Password Families account to unlock 1Password.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• bharrison
    bharrison
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben. I am unable to initiate the master password recovery because I can't log into my web account. When I use my existing master password, it says that the credential is incorrect. Is there another way to start the recovery process? Alternatively can I wipe out the shared vault and start over? I don't mind losing what's in the shared vault, but I don't want to lose everything in my personal vault.

• Ben
    Options

@bharrison,

You cannot recover your own account. Another family member with the organizer role would need to perform the process for you. Unfortunately -- I checked -- you haven't given anyone else the organizer role for your 1Password Families account.

We could delete the 1Password Families account for you, but the other folks you've invited (there are two) will also lose their data in the process. Because you are the only organizer your family relies on you having access to your account.

The best situation would be if you could remember the Master Password that you set up. Did you print your Emergency Kit as was recommended in the setup process?

If you're not able to do that please email us at support@1password.com with a link to this thread ( https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/67398/ ) and we can help with starting a new account. If we have to go down that road you'll want to be sure to complete all of the quests... including printing your Emergency Kit and setting up a second family member as an organizer.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

To add, if using 1Password for business, 1Password Teams is the appropriate solution. 1Password Families is for personal use only. :)

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.