Changes to be expected for since license users?

Options
armouredcasket
armouredcasket
Community Member
edited August 2016 in Lounge

Hello,

I was wondering if due to the shift of your business model if those of us who prefer to not have our data stored in the cloud can expect any fundamental changes to the nature of the product? I purchased 1password individually on each platform a long time ago specifically because it was not a hosted service, with the expectation that significant version changes would likely be paid upgrades (which I believe are typically slightly less expensive than the first time license purchases.) Can I expect this to remain the case? I'd also like to know if there are going to be different versions of the software itself for subscribers vs license holders - are those two different products, or are subscribers using the same software but with the additional sync abilities and the guarantee that they will never have to pay to upgrade? I am also not sure I understand the Item History and Secure Document storage features advertised for subscribers. Are these different than the ability to see deleted items by going to the trash and storing secure notes with attachments?

Edit: Lastly, I noticed that the license purchase now includes both versions of the desktop software. Do I need a new single license key to replace my individual ones for windows and os x?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @armouredcasket,

I was wondering if due to the shift of your business model if those of us who prefer to not have our data stored in the cloud can expect any fundamental changes to the nature of the product?

We have no plans to stop offering standalone licenses at this time. Of course, it’s impossible to say what the future will hold, but we’ve always prided ourselves in being a customer-focussed company, and if users tell us that licenses are the way they prefer to use 1Password, we’ll take that into consideration when planning future development of 1Password.

I'd also like to know if there are going to be different versions of the software itself for subscribers vs license holders - are those two different products, or are subscribers using the same software but with the additional sync abilities and the guarantee that they will never have to pay to upgrade?

1Password account holders access 1Password using the same apps that license holders do, so the core features of 1Password will be the same for all users.

I am also not sure I understand the Item History and Secure Document storage features advertised for subscribers. Are these different than the ability to see deleted items by going to the trash and storing secure notes with attachments?

Item history will allow you to see previous changes to an active item. In some ways, it’s similar to the ‘previously used passwords’ feature that already exists, but more powerful. Account users will be able to see any changes to an item, whether it’s a password or a username, or details in a custom field. 1Password accounts essentially provide the ability to restore on a per-item basis.

The Agile Keychain and OPVault data format was never designed to store large files. Attachments were great for adding a scan of your passport to your Passport entry, or the terms of use document for your Credit Card, but there was really no good way to securely share a larger file that perhaps didn’t need to be attached to a particular item in your database. Also, because the attachments were encrypted within your datafile, there were potential space considerations if you were syncing a database with a large number of attached files to a mobile device. With 1Password accounts, these Secure Documents can be stored on the server and only downloaded to your device as needed. This opens the door for storing larger and more documents securely in your 1Password database.

Lastly, I noticed that the license purchase now includes both versions of the desktop software. Do I need a new single license key to replace my individual ones for windows and os x?

We’ve been working on simplifying our licensing so that it is easier for users to get 1Password on all their devices, with no need to worry about multiple licenses for multiple platforms, but this change doesn’t affect existing licenses. Your licenses for 1Password will continue to be valid, there’s no need to change anything at this time.

I hope this answers your questions, but if you would like any further clarification about 1Password accounts, we’re happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.