Inconsistent Identity Filling in FF/IE Extension

Hi Agile,

I was pleasantly surprised recently to see that the 1P Firefox extension had finally been updated to include identity filling. However, I've tried this feature on several different websites and get mixed results. Some fields fill, some don't. Some field names match exactly the fields in 1P as identity, so it can't be that the field names differ. Has anyone else reported issues? It just seems like it's 50% working right now. Good to have, but, ummm, yeah, not exactly working as expected.

Regards,

Curbed

Comments

• CurbedEnthusiasm
    CurbedEnthusiasm
    Community Member
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for the speedy answer brenty. Well, glad it isn't just me having problems then, and that you're working on it. The only thing I would add here is when you talk about how the web changes so fast and you're surprised it works as well as it does, etc. I was wondering ... do you ever try to investigate how competitors do things? I'm not suggesting reverse engineering or anything sneaky, just wondered if that was a factor in how features were developed? I've used Roboform and LastPass extensively, so I often (rightly or wrongly) compare performance/features against all 3 products (RF, 1P, LP). LP/RF form-filling is really rock solid, so as a techie, was just curious how they implement it to get it so good.

Of course, I prefer much 1P ;)
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    It's perfectly valid to compare 1Password against the other tools out there, CE!

I came to 1Password from Roboform, myself, about three years ago, when I shifted from Windows back to the Mac, and I used to get really frustrated with the shortcomings in form-filling.

First, things are constantly improving, even before the current push that Brent mentioned.

Second, Roboform in particular has several years' head start on us...it may be that they've been improving on their field-recognition "intelligence" at about the same rate, and are just further along.

Thanks so much for your confidence in us, CE, and for your patience. Our customers are awesome!
  • CurbedEnthusiasm
    CurbedEnthusiasm
    Community Member
    edited July 2011
    Hi David,

Yes, true Roboform has a huge head start and they began with form-filling as their core feature, hence the 'Form' in Robo! But as you may've been aware, RF really screwed up and reneged on some of their customers regarding licensing, not to mention their service and product has gone downhill the last couple of years.

LP do a great job of Form-filling, and they're relatively new on the scene.

But 1P's strength is not only the app but the people behind it, and their commitment to customers and willingness to hear us :)

Looking forward to the ongoing updates!

Regards,

Curbed
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I was pleasantly surprised recently to see that the 1P Firefox extension had finally been updated to include identity filling. However, I've tried this feature on several different websites and get mixed results. Some fields fill, some don't.

Can you provide me with an URL or two? I would love to reproduce and fix this.
  • CurbedEnthusiasm
    CurbedEnthusiasm
    Community Member
    edited July 2011
    Sure. Below is the URL I was trying to fill today, and it only filled name and email, I believe, skipping other fields like phone and date of birth which I have entered into my 1P identity. I have had other instances where it's basically been the same, filling in 50/50 of the fields, but I can't recall right now where they were or what I was filling :)

Here's today's URL where I had the issue:

http://asia.wotifcompetition.com/?stlcmpid=MP1352
  • CurbedEnthusiasm
    CurbedEnthusiasm
    Community Member
    edited July 2011
    The next time I run into the issue, I'll fire up Chrome and try it in there to see if there's a difference. That'll be an interesting test. I mostly use FF at the moment, but I'd like to switch to Chrome someday soon...perhaps when I get my new Mac :)
  • CurbedEnthusiasm
    CurbedEnthusiasm
    Community Member
    edited July 2011
    I had the same result - Chrome was slightly better, and it filled the phone number but didn't fill date of birth. I wouldn't really expect State/Region to be filled as they are drop downs, but would like to think date of birth should be. The date of birth field though has a pre-populated format in it, so that's probably why it's not being filled.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Sure. Below is the URL I was trying to fill today, and it only filled name and email, I believe, skipping other fields like phone and date of birth which I have entered into my 1P identity. I have had other instances where it's basically been the same, filling in 50/50 of the fields, but I can't recall right now where they were or what I was filling :)

Here's today's URL where I had the issue:

http://asia.wotifcompetition.com/?stlcmpid=MP1352

I was trying to fix this, but this page now reads this: "the competition is now closed"
  • CurbedEnthusiasm
    CurbedEnthusiasm
    Community Member
    edited July 2011
    Ah. If I find another instance during my travels, I'll post it here.
This discussion has been closed.