can 1Password be used to fill in forms not used to sign in?

Options

How can I use 1Password to fill in forms (not a website sign in)? Many fields like first and last name are used over and over. I tried using an Identity, but apparently some fields are not named the same as the form visual text.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:can 1Password be used to fill in forms not used to sign in?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sxd_040,

First of all, I just wanted to let you know that I’ve moved your question into the ‘Saving and Filling in Browsers’ category. Our filling gurus hang out here, and they’ll be much better able to answer your questions.

In general, I think you’re right to use an Identity to try and fill in forms that are not sign in forms. But 1Password’s filling does depend on these fields being named in a recognizable way. Could you provide us with a few web addresses as examples of the types of forms you’re trying to fill so that we can do some testing on our end?

• sxd_040
    sxd_040
    Community Member
    Options

An example of a form I am trying to fill in is at:
    https://www.webcaster4.com/Webcast/Page/445/16248

Please notice that there are two fields for email address, I am trying to fill in the one on the left side of the form.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for sharing that link. It does look like we have some trouble with identity filling on this page when it comes to the email address.

When filling, 1Password looks for the best field to fill the various identity values into. As a human user, you see two fields for email, but 1Password really only sees one that really fits. Here's some bits from the code. First, the email field you want to fill:

<input aria-label="E-mail" aria-required="1" class="required vw4_kendo_autocomplete vw4_watermark email vw4_valid_email_input_type  k-invalid" data-required-msg="E-mail Required" data-requiredinputgroup-msg="E-mail format is not valid" data-vw4-watermark=" * E-mail" id="Q_3__Replies" maxlength="100" name="Q[3].Replies" required="" data-email-msg="E-mail format is not valid" style="width:270px;" tabindex="4" title="E-mail Required" type="text" value="">

and the email field that is actually filled:

<input type="text" name="EmailAddress" required="" data-email-msg="Email format is not valid" class="email vw4_kendo_autocomplete vw4_watermark vw4_already_registered_input vw4_valid_email_input_type" data-vw4-watermark=" * Email Address" title="Email Address Required" size="40" maxlength="100" aria-label="Email Address" aria-required="1" data-required-msg="Email Address Required" data-requiredinputgroup-msg="Email format is not valid">

One of the attributes of fields that 1Password looks at is the name attribute. In the first field, the name is Q[3].Replies whereas in the second one, the name is EmailAddress. I'm sure you can guess which one 1Password thinks looks more like an email address field. :smile: Another thing that 1Password uses is the labels for elements. So, if the field has a nonsense name, we should be able to look for a label that tells us something about this. The way HTML links up the field with its label is with a <label> tag. But in the case of this page, the element that contains what is to the human eye the label for the field is not actually a label tag:

<div class="vw4_question_container">
    <span>* </span><span class="wordwrap">E-mail</span></div>

so 1Password can't really understand that this bit of text on the page is meant to be the label for the email address field.

That being said, 1Password isn't totally in the dark when it comes to the email field on the left. I do see that there is this attribute on the first field: aria-label="E-mail". 1Password does support this attribute, but since the field on the left has just this one attribute that points toward an email field but the one on the right has aria-label and a matching field name, it gets a higher score in the filling process.

It certainly might be useful to try to cluster filling of fields together, but that's not something 1Password is set up to do right now. I do have one more idea for how we could make this site a little better, but I want to talk it over with the team first to see if it's viable or could result in unintended behavior.

So, all of that is a long way to acknowledge that 1Password isn't filling the way a human would here and that we need to improve. I can't offer any timeframe for when we might be able to address this, but we will definitely look into it.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• sxd_040
    sxd_040
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate that you will work on my problem, but I am left with one question - I have not kept up with all the developments in web pages and forms. In the form in question there is a field on the visual form "PTIN" How would I enter it in the identity item in 1Password? Is there a way to have 1Password automatically create the field in an identity item? (If documentation exists I'll be glad to try to figure it out.) Thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sxd_040: Unfortunately 1Password only knows how to fill fields which are part of its templates. But while custom fields cannot be filled, they are at least useful for storing the information you need, which you can then copy and paste by viewing the item details in 1Password mini. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.