Concatenate Password with Onetime Password

Options
wkulhanek
wkulhanek
Community Member
edited August 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi!
I recently joined a new employer and they are using an authentication mechanism that 1Password (seemingly) can't handle. First they are using FreeOTP (an app from the App Store for the phone) for their One Time Password - and that does not seem to be using the same algorithm as 1Password to generate OTPs. Also it has a feature where by tapping the OTP it immediately generates a new password. When creating a new Authentication Token I have to specify two consecutive OTPs to sync the token with the account.

If we could get that solved then I need the second new feature: concatenating the passphrase with the OTP. So for example I get a login screen asking for my username and password where the password is the combination of my passphrase and an OTP.

E.g. User: myuserid, Password: mypassphrase123456 where 123456 is the currently generated OTP.

Is this something that 1Password can already do? If so how would I set this up? If not is this something that you guys could consider adding to 1Password (browser extensions)?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox (not that it matters for this question)

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkulhanek: This isn't something 1Password can do currently, but it's certainly something we can consider for the future. I wasn't able to find any real information on how to implement FreeOTP, but it's something we can look into. Concatenating one time passwords was brought up once before, but both of these seem to be rather rare cases. We do focus on the areas that will do the most good for the greatest number of users, so if there's enough interest it is more likely that we'll be able to justify saying no to something else so we can work on these features instead. Thanks for letting us know it would be useful to you! :)

• wkulhanek
    wkulhanek
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply @brenty! There is some information (with source code) at https://fedorahosted.org/freeotp. Certainly understand the prioritization - but I do think this would open up some large customer bases.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't fully understand why the values are concatenated in this 2FA scheme, but I will honestly say this is the first we have heard of this FreeOTP. 1Password isn't currently able to concatenate the TOTP values or anything like that, and honestly, this sounds pretty convoluted over the straightforward nature of providing another field to type into. If this becomes a popular request, perhaps it is something we will look into, but right now, I don't see us moving 1Password in this direction.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.