What is a small red circle with a white 1 inside it on the 1 Password icon on the toolbar

Options

I am unable to login to 1Password and wonder if the this red circle means something? Also, I'm not sure what Category system I have.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:What is a small red circle with a white 1 inside it on the 1 Password icon on the toolbar

Comments

• dowton
    dowton
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dowton: It sounds like you may be using the old 1Password extension in the web browser on your computer. Is that correct? Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Can you tell me what kind of devices you're using 1Password on? Mac? PC? iPhone? Android? Whatever you do, don't delete anything before we figure out what's going on. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• dowton
    dowton
    Community Member
    Options

I have a rectangular box with a key inside ( on the toolbar in Safari ) and there is a red circle with the number 1 on the top right hand corner. I only ask because I can't seem to open the 1 Password to check some of my passwords. I put in the password and it just starts counting.....
    I have a brand new iMac, but I transferred all my stuff over from the old one.
    Don't know how to do a screenshot!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dowton: It sounds like you may only have the 1Password browser extension installed. Do you not have the 1Password app installed on your Mac?

You can find instructions to take a screenshot by following the link in my previous reply: http://take-a-screenshot.org/

Do you still have the old Mac? I'm concerned that maybe not everything was transferred over if 1Password is missing from your Applications folder. Please let me know what you find!

• dowton
    dowton
    Community Member
    Options

I can't see anything in the Applications Folder about 1 Password. But I'm sure I have used it since I changed macs.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dowton,

Thanks so much for getting back to us with that screenshot! It’s been a while since I’ve used 1Password 3, so I’m not quite sure why that little badge is there.

However, it is important that you have the 1Password application installed on your system in order for the 1Password browser extension to work.

If you search for 1Password using Finder or Spotlight Search (⌘-spacebar), do you see 1Password saved anywhere other than your Applications folder?

• dowton
    dowton
    Community Member
    Options

No. I can't find it. Shall I just download a new copy?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dowton,

You can download a fresh version of 1Password from our downloads page.

Now, if your 1Password data has transferred over from your old Mac, when you open 1Password for the first time you should be prompted for your Master Password to unlock your data. If you hit any snags, please let us know and we’ll investigate further.

• dowton
    dowton
    Community Member
    Options

I downloaded something under the heading of Legacy. ( for el Capitan ) I now have a 1Password icon on my desktop with a suitcase icon called Knox in the bar at the bottom of the desktop. It doesn't seem to have changed much and I still can't open 1Password.

• dowton
    dowton
    Community Member
    Options

Looking at the website page you linked to, I see there is also an option for buying a new copy, is that what you are suggesting?

• dowton
    dowton
    Community Member
    Options

I decided to download ( without paying ) and I can now get into my saved information, passwords etc BUT the Safari extension is not available and suggests I uninstall ( which I did ) and then reinstall a new version. Where do I find this?
    Incidentally, I can open my vault by simply double clicking 1Password6.app in my Applications Folder, is that safe?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dowton,

1Password 6 will definitely work better on your new computer - thanks for giving it a try! You’re right, you do need an updated version of the browser extension for this to work. You can download the new extension on our extension download page.

Please note that 1Password 6 is a paid upgrade from 1Password 3. But the great news is that, as an existing user, you’re entitled to a loyalty discount. Enter your license key on our upgrade page to see the price of a new license. :)

• dowton
    dowton
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, but where do i find my licence key?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dowton,

I took a quick look in our back office records, but I was unable to find any license information stored with the email address that you have in your forum profile. To investigate further, please send us a message at support+licenses@agilebits.com with your full name and the email address that you used to purchase 1Password. We’ll do what we can to find your license key. :)

• dowton
    dowton
    Community Member
    Options

Does this mean that the copy I downloaded is on a trial basis?
    Also, I am trying to set up iCloud syncing using your email tutorials and I get to a point where I am asked to state what is my favourite or least favourite car. I have to say that this must be the most ridiculous question I have ever been asked. I don't have a favoured car anymore than I have a favoured child! What do I do to over come this obstacle, please don't ask me to just pick a car, as I shall never remember the answer I have given.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dowton,

If you are currently using 1Password without a license, you are likely on the 30 day free trial. It’s best if we deal with license issues via email, as we’ll be able to get details such as your full name and email address that you might not want to share in a public forum.

Also, I am trying to set up iCloud syncing using your email tutorials and I get to a point where I am asked to state what is my favourite or least favourite car.

It sounds like you’re setting up an iCloud account here, is that correct? I certainly feel your pain about security questions. They’re a bit frustrating some times. I generally save the answers in 1Password because, like you, I can never remember the answers that I gave. You can even up your security by giving false answers to security questions. One of the problems with security questions is that they ask questions that could often be found on social media sites or with a little bit of research on the part of an attacker. So they don’t always provide the expected level of extra security to your account. If you’re saving the ‘answers’ to your security questions in 1Password, there’s no need to remember them, or for them to be truthful and logical.

I hope this helps!

• dowton
    dowton
    Community Member
    Options

I don't seem able to use the password generator for my Yahoo account, I have used the generator on lots of other sites and it works well, so I'm a bit puzzled.....no change there!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dowton,

Could you tell me a bit more about how you are attempting to use the password generator? Are you opening 1Password mini (or the browser extension) and creating a password there, or editing the entry in the main 1Password app?

What does “it doesn’t work” look like? Is there an error message from Yahoo?

This discussion has been closed.