Help with iCloud-Syncing IOS

Options
dijjo
dijjo
Community Member
edited August 2016 in iOS

Hey guys,

I hope you can help me. It might be a stupid question but yeah... I deleted all 1Password-Data in my iCloud Drive and I did a brand new 1Password-Sync with my Macbook (because I do that here and then). So there is the brandnew 1Password-Data in iCloud Drive now.
I am using the IOS-1Password-App as well. When I started the IOS-App now an error occurred saying there is new 1Password-Data in iCloud Drive and I need to sync it. So far so good. I followed all instructions in the app and everything worked fine I guess.

My question now is: The 1Password-App asked me to unlock the primary vault (my only vault) before being able to sync to iCloud so I had to type in my master password even tho I was already logged into the 1Password-App with my fingerprint. Why do I have to type in my master password now? Because I got the App unlocked already, right? But it did not want to sync before I didn't type in the master password again so I did it (it was just a plain field saying unlock primary vault and empty space for the password).

Why does iCloud (or the app) need my master password in that case? Can it not sync the data with iCloud without having that password? I just don't get it. Because i legitimated myself with my fingerprint already, no?

I am just scared that the password somehow is not safe anymore now, dunno. Maybe you can take my fear away :|

Thanks in advance for your help.

1Password Version: Newest
_Extension Version: Newest
_OS Version:
Newest
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dijjo,

First of all, I just wanted to let you know that it’s important that you never forget your Master Password. Touch ID is an awesome convenience - I love being able to tap my thumb to unlock my vault instead of typing in my 5 word Master Password on that tiny iOS keyboard! - but it is not meant to fully replace your Master Password.

Why does iCloud (or the app) need my master password in that case? Can it not sync the data with iCloud without having that password?

1Password is requesting the Master Password for the data stored in iCloud in order to decrypt that data and merge it with the information you have on your device. Because the information stored in iCloud is encrypted, the Master Password is needed to unlock it.

This discussion has been closed.