Error warning on updates

waryofdairy
waryofdairy
Community Member

Hi, I have a hard drive permanently connected to my Mac via USB for daily backups. As it's a clone all apps are on there too. Every time i do an update I get a warning that there is more than one copy of 1Password on my computer and i should remove one before updating. I presume it is seeing the copy on the backup - is that correct? I always just ignore the warning and carry on with the update, but just thought I'd better check. Cheers! :)

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @waryofdairy,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry you're having some trouble.

I presume it is seeing the copy on the backup - is that correct?

You understand the issue correctly. The reason for this is not that the copy itself is a problem, but that it has caused problems for a lot of folks. OS X has a little too much too drink or something and starts launching 1Password mini from inside the wrong copy of 1Password (the copy on your back up drive) rather than the copy on your startup drive. It's a somewhat longstanding bug in OS X that we're trying to shield folks from.

The simplest workaround is to exclude the 1Password app from your backups since you can always download a fresh copy from our website (or the Mac App Store if you purchased it there). If you wanted to make sure you have your own copy, you could include a ZIP compressed copy of the app on the backup drive.

If you haven't already read the article I lovingly crafted about this issue, learn more about the "extra copies of 1Password found" message.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don't hesitate to let me know.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.