Is there a document that gives step by step for setting up Families?

sybil_cooper
sybil_cooper
Community Member

I have migrated my data from personal to 1PWD Families. I set up a new Master PWD for the 1PWD Families. I set up a vault for each of my kids and sent them invites. One kid account has been set up with account key and Master PWD. We use a common iMac. I have my own user and the kids have a shared user. On the shared user account on the iMac, it only accepts my new Master PWD which gives the kids access to my personal vault. Will the kids be unable to have their own vaults given they use a Shared User Profile on the iMac? And why is 1PWD only accepting my Master PWD on their user profile?

Also, on my son's iPhone 5, when he tries to sign into 1PasswordTeams (it doesn't say family), he inputs his Master PWD and hits Save, the app shuts down. His Passwords that are in his vault, do not show up on his phone 1Password. It looks like just a single user personal vault. It's not logged into the Family account.

HELP!
Sybil

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• sybil_cooper
    sybil_cooper
    Community Member

It occurred to me that the issue might be that my 1PWD is in the Applications folder on my user. Do I need to move that out of the Applications folder and then download 1PWD Families onto the kids user profile so that it is not looking for my Master Password?

Assuming this works, will the three kids each put in their own Master Password? Doesn't seem likely given what has happened. Will they have to share a vault? I could tag them for their passwords or put everything into a Shared vault but it doesn't seem practical for it to work this way.

• Hi @sybil_cooper! Thanks for signing up your family. I'd be happy to help you get things set up. :)

Will the kids be unable to have their own vaults given they use a Shared User Profile on the iMac?

I'm afraid it's not possible to use the same user account on a Mac and have separate 1Password accounts set up. There are two options:

• Create other user accounts for each your kids
    • Have them sign in to their accounts from 1Password.com in a browser

The limitation of the second one is that they will need their Account Key and Master Password each time, unless they're using something like profiles in Google Chrome. Hope that gives a bit of inspiration for the situation.

And why is 1PWD only accepting my Master PWD on their user profile?

This is within the 1Password for Mac app, right? If so, when you set up 1Password a Master Password is created and that is used for everything within the app. The Master Password is taken from the first account you sign in to; if you migrated from a standalone vault, that password will be used until you remove the old vault.

On another note, you mentioned there being a shared profile above, but now you're talking about one that's specifically for them. Could you please clear up which you've got? :)

Also, on my son's iPhone 5, when he tries to sign into 1PasswordTeams (it doesn't say family), he inputs his Master PWD and hits Save, the app shuts down. His Passwords that are in his vault, do not show up on his phone 1Password. It looks like just a single user personal vault. It's not logged into the Family account.

Hmm, it should say "1Password account" as a neutral between Teams and Families. He may need to update the 1Password app on his iPhone. :) I suspect this may solve the issue with the app crashing as well. The current version of 1Password for iOS is 6.4.3. Could you have him check for updates in the App Store? Let me know if an update doesn't solve the issue.

Hope that helps for now! Talk to you soon.

• sybil_cooper
    sybil_cooper
    Community Member

My son has 1Password 6.1.1 but he just downloaded it yesterday. Oh today there is an update, ha ha ha. Downloading it now.

Ok we may move the kids to each of their own user profiles since I understand there is now Family Steam account. But until then, I just put all of their passwords into a shared vault and added a name tag.

I know there was some mix up initially when I bought it off the agilebits site as well as Apple store but I think I have 1Password for mac now on all computers. Yes I migrated from a stand alone vault to Family. So I have to remove the original vault?

I have my own profile and the three kids have a shared profile on the iMac. They each have their own iPhones as well.

But I would like the kids to have their own Master Password log in so they don't have access to my Personal vault in the Family account.

Sybil

• @sybil_cooper That's really strange. I'm not sure why he got 6.1.1 because that was released in November of last year. :lol: Ah well, glad you're downloading the newest version now!

Ok we may move the kids to each of their own user profiles since I understand there is now Family Steam account. But until then, I just put all of their passwords into a shared vault and added a name tag.

That can be a good solution in some cases. They will have access to everyone else's stuff in that vault, though. So long as you're okay with that, it should work.

I know there was some mix up initially when I bought it off the agilebits site as well as Apple store but I think I have 1Password for mac now on all computers. Yes I migrated from a stand alone vault to Family. So I have to remove the original vault?

Yes, I would recommend removing the old vault once you have moved things to your family account. If everything has been moved over, you can remove the old vault from your Mac by launching 1Password and unlocking it, then switching to the Primary vault and choosing 1Password -> Delete Vault from the menu bar. :)

But I would like the kids to have their own Master Password log in so they don't have access to my Personal vault in the Family account.

You can simply invite them as members to the family to achieve this. They will only have access to what you give them, so you can share vaults with each of them individually. The only thing is, you can't have their accounts and yours in the Mac app if you're using one user account, so you may want to look into multiple for this.

• sybil_cooper
    sybil_cooper
    Community Member

Ok so let me see if I have this straight. Yes, I've deleted my old vault.

So, there will be only 1 master password which is used whether I'm on my user profile on the iMac or they are on their user profile on the Mac. But they will not be able to see or alter my Personal Vault. They will only see the Shared Vault. A shared vault for them is fine - they each have only about 3 passwords. 8-)

Now when we downloaded the app to my son's iPhone, it had him set up his own Master Password but he will use that only on his phone, correct? Also there is a Primary vault, then a Coopers - Personal, Nathan, Shared vault on his phone. So if wanted to save a password, he should put it in Shared if he wants access everywhere?

I just logged into the KIDS user profile on the iMac. It took my Master Password. All the vaults are open, even my Personal vault.

Sybil

• sybil_cooper
    sybil_cooper
    Community Member

Currently, on my MacBook Pro and my user Profile on the iMac, 1Password only accepts my Master Password (let's call it A) which is different from the Family account Master password (let's call it B).

When I log into the Kids' User profile on the iMac, it only accepts Master Password B. But it still has my Personal Vault accessible. I looked at my dashboard online and I am the only shown with access to this vault.

Sybil

• @sybil_cooper It sounds like you may be signed in to your 1Password account in both user accounts on the Mac. You're the only one who has access to your Personal vault, just like your kids only have access to theirs. Could you check what account you're signed in to please? Launch 1Password, choose 1Password -> Preferences from the menu bar, switch to the Accounts tab, and you'll see the account you're currently signed in to there.

As for why the Master Password is different on that user account than yours, it could be that you still have a Primary vault on one of them and it's setting the Master Password. Let's take a deeper look at this. Could you please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac?

How to send a diagnostics report to AgileBits

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Now when we downloaded the app to my son's iPhone, it had him set up his own Master Password but he will use that only on his phone, correct? Also there is a Primary vault, then a Coopers - Personal, Nathan, Shared vault on his phone. So if wanted to save a password, he should put it in Shared if he wants access everywhere?

Actually, he should have signed in to his account when setting up the app and it would use that Master Password. Did he choose to use the app without an account by chance? That's the only reason the Primary vault should be there. He should uninstall the app and install it once again (I know, we just got here!) so he can sign in to his account this time without a Primary vault being created. ;) Then, if he wants access to his data everywhere, his Personal one will be synced automatically with his account. The Shared one is for everyone else in the family to access.

Hope that helps!

• sybil_cooper
    sybil_cooper
    Community Member

Ok we redownloaded the app and the sign in looks different this time. It says "Sign into 1Password account for Families and Teams". Now when we click the arrow, it has Add Account - Scan the QR code or Sign in Manually." What do we use for that? When I sent him the invite, it walked him through setting up a Master Password and gave him a QR Code and Account key etc. Was that not correct? Should I be using the QR code from our Family 1password site? I tried that and it is signing him in with my email.

Sybil

• sybil_cooper
    sybil_cooper
    Community Member

So I signed him in with his Account Key and QR code and it now has only Coopers - Personal, Nathan, and Shared. IT does not show the Primary Vault nor his sibling's vaults. So I think I am good to go with their devices.

I will have to kick my kids off the iMac in order to answer your first question.

Sybil

• @sybil_cooper Glad to hear about the progress! :) You can send that report whenever is convenient for you — no rush. The kids can have their time for now and you can grab it later tonight I'm sure. :pirate:

• sybil_cooper
    sybil_cooper
    Community Member

So I went to Preferences tab and it does have a Primary Vault and then Coopers vaults. Both preferences tab have my email, same Account Key but use different Master passwords.

On my MacBook pro, I do not see a primary vault and it uses Password A.

But if there is only one master password, how does it know who is logging into the Kids user profile so that the Personal vault does not show up on the Kids Profile. I feel like I'm missing something key here. I'm usually very good w/ software etc but this is confusing.

Sybil

• sybil_cooper
    sybil_cooper
    Community Member

So do I need to delete the Primary vault on the iMac? I thought I did that. Maybe I only did that on the MacBook Pro. I'm working on two computers simultaneously.

Sybil

• sybil_cooper
    sybil_cooper
    Community Member

I deleted the Primary vault from the iMac and it switched it to Password B.

But when I go to the Kids account, it uses Password B and my Personal vault is there. Perhaps the confusion is in registering the kids account. When they accept the invite, what do they put in to register? Their own name, email and will they each get an Account Key and QR code? If so, how do they open 1Password on their shared user on the iMac?

Sybil

• When they accept the invite, what do they put in to register? Their own name, email and will they each get an Account Key and QR code?

Correct. Each person should have their own unique username (email address), Master Password, and Account Key. The QR code is just a convenient way to enter the username, Account Key, and domain (the domain is shared by everyone in the family).

They'll each need their own user account on the Mac if you want them to be able to login separately to 1Password for Mac. Alternatively they can each login to the web interface, foregoing the Mac app altogether. If you opt for the latter though they will not get any of the benefits of the extension, namely filling.

Ben

• sybil_cooper
    sybil_cooper
    Community Member

What if I just want them to use the Shared Vault for now until we set up their separate user profiles on the iMac?

• They can use 1Password on your user, but that means they will also have access to your Personal vault and any others in there. They could also access their account from a browser as I mentioned before. Chrome has multiple profiles, so they could each sign in to one and their Account Key would be remembered but their Master Password would not. They could enter that and access their account anytime, and switch between the profiles if someone else needs access. :)

• sybil_cooper
    sybil_cooper
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

They wouldn't be using 1Password on my User profile, they would be using it on theirs. I assumed that if they used it on theirs, they wouldn't see my personal vault, only the shared vault. I thought from Jacob's response above that it would work this way.

• Yes, sorry, it sounds like there was some misunderstanding.

Each user that you want to have their data separated from each other user needs to have their own user profile on the computer. If the kids share a user account, their 1Password data will also be shared with each other. If you want them to be separate, they need separate user accounts on the Mac.

Ben

• sybil_cooper
    sybil_cooper
    Community Member

Ok Ben, I'm with you. BUT will the kids on their shared user profile on the imac, have access to my Personal folder? As it is currently set up, they do.

Sybil

• Jacob
    edited August 2016

@sybil_cooper I'm sorry we haven't been able to explain this very well. It is a bit of a confusing topic at times. How about this: Send us an email at support@1password.com and we'll figure out another way to explain things. :) Post back here once you've sent that email and include the BitBot confirmation number you receive so we can reply as soon as possible.

• sybil_cooper
    sybil_cooper
    Community Member

Hi Jacob,

Here is the Bitbot # [#GQU-12419-618]

Thanks! Sorry to be such a pain, lol.
    Sybil

• Oh it's okay. :) We'll get back to you soon!

ref: #GQU-12419-618

This discussion has been closed.