I can't change master password

Options
cny
cny
Community Member

I'm using 1Password 6 with ElCapitan.
I made the mistake of clicking on a link in a spam email this morning and it seemed wise to change my master password.
I can log into 1Password to use normally so my current password works, but when I go to Preferences/Security/Change Master Password and then type in the current password, the dots appear, but I get the message "The password can not be blank. Please enter at least one character." I have tried this a number of times and get the same message.
Does this mean my system has been compromised?
Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cny,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! I'm sorry you're having some trouble changing your master password, but we'll be happy to help you solve that.

...when I go to Preferences/Security/Change Master Password and then type in the current password, the dots appear, but I get the message "The password can not be blank. Please enter at least one character."

It sounds like you're entering your current master password in the Current Password field, but are leaving the New Password and Verify fields empty - that would explain why you're getting that error message. In order to change your master password, you'll need to fill in each of those fields.

Once you do that, does it work as expected, and are you able to unlock the 1Password app with the new master password you chose?

• cny
    cny
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Drew! I guess I was thinking of it as a two-step process for some reason.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cny,

I’m so glad that Drew’s post helped you get all sorted out! Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we’re always here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.