subscription showing unlocked padlock and missing icons in preferences menu...

Options
kelsie47
kelsie47
Community Member

1Password is showing the "lock" as unlocked although I still have to enter the password to access the program. Is this normal? I close it using the lock and not by just hitting the red button so it should lock. This is not happening on my iPad or iPhone but only on my iMac and both on the version that shows in my dock and at the top right side of my screen.
In Preferences, I also do not have several of the options that I should have - I installed Dropbox but I can't sync as I don't have that option. Mine read from L to R as follows: General, Security, Accounts, Watchtower, All Vaults, Browsers and Updates. Advanced is on the far right but I am missing some key icons there. (Sync, Wi-Fi Server and Backup are supposed to be there but aren't...) HELP!

1Password Version: Version 6
Extension Version: 6.3.2
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kelsie47,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! I'm sorry for any confusion about the things you mentioned, but I'm sure we can help clear it all up.

1Password is showing the "lock" as unlocked although I still have to enter the password to access the program. Is this normal?

Are you referring to the padlock icon to the right of the master password field on the lock screen?

If so, it appears as an unlocked padlock because it's the "unlock" button. You can click on it after typing your master password in order to unlock 1Password. But if you're like me, you probably just hit the 'return' key on your keyboard after typing your master password, so you might not have realized that icon was actually a button. I can see how that might be confusing! But to answer your question, yes - that's normal. :)

In Preferences, I also do not have several of the options that I should have - I installed Dropbox but I can't sync as I don't have that option. Mine read from L to R as follows: General, Security, Accounts, Watchtower, All Vaults, Browsers and Updates.

It sounds like you have a 1Password subscription account and don't have any local/standalone vaults in 1Password (i.e. vaults that aren't part of your 1Password account). In that case, you won't see the Sync, WLAN Server, or Backups tabs in Preferences because those settings don't apply to 1Password accounts. You don't need those options because the data in your account vault(s) is automatically synced and backed up via our secure servers. If you install 1Password on a new device, all you need to do is sign into your account from the app and all your account data will automatically be downloaded there.

Do you have any 1Password data in Dropbox that you need to sync to 1Password for Mac so you can copy it to your account vaults? If so, we'll be happy to help you with that.

I hope that helps to clear things up, but please let us know if you have more questions about any of that! :)

• kelsie47
    kelsie47
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply! I think that sorts out my concerns. My devices are all syncing (I assume though iCloud) and I thought I needed Dropbox as I had sorted many entries into vaults other than Personal... turns out that isn't necessary. I remember seeing syncing options at one time on my iPad and iPhone but they are no longer there - not sure where they went but everything is updating as I add entries so the syncing option is definitely set up.
    Dropbox is installed now so if I need it, I have it now. The security of the main system seems to be in place as well.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @kelsie47!

Just to be clear about a couple things:

My devices are all syncing (I assume though iCloud)...

Actually, no - as I mentioned in my previous reply, the vaults in your 1Password account sync through our own servers, so iCloud isn't used for that at all. Because your account data is hosted on our own servers, there's no need for a third party sync service such as iCloud or Dropbox.

You would only need to use iCloud or Dropbox in order to sync local/standalone vaults - those are vaults that aren't part of your 1Password account. If you previously used the 1Password app before you signed up for an account, you would have been using local/standalone vaults and would have needed to use iCloud or Dropbox to sync them between different devices. But it sounds like you signed up for an account on 1Password.com recently and moved your data from local/standalone vaults to your new account vaults.

I remember seeing syncing options at one time on my iPad and iPhone but they are no longer there

Just like in 1Password for Mac, you won't see any sync options in 1Password for iOS if you don't have any local/standalone vaults. The only 1Password vaults on your Mac, iPad, and iPhone are part of your 1Password account, which means they automatically sync through our own servers. Therefore there's no need for any sync settings in the app.

Dropbox is installed now so if I need it, I have it now.

Dropbox is a great service - I use it for lots of things! But you'll no longer need it for 1Password because your account data is synced through our own servers.

As always, if you have more questions about that or anything else, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.