Migrating to Families?

Options
nicleau
nicleau
Community Member

I've had a 1Password account for some time now. I use it on my mac, my iphone, and my ipad. I took advantage of the discount to sign up for Families today so I can get my husband using the software as well (he'll use it on his iphone and his windows computer). But I'm a little confused by the primary vault versus the personal and shared vaults. Is the primary vault a shared vault? Do I even need a personal vault if the primary vault isn't shared and remains mine alone? Can my husband create his own primary/personal vault?

I think I've become confused because I managed to copy all of my existing passwords into my personal vault, but my the logins didn't copy. That makes me think that the personal vaults are not really the same as the primary or shared vaults. Will logins, notes, credit cards, etc. only be available on the primary vault? Can you shed some light on how the different vaults work?
Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:account-key, kb:teams-families-migrate, ug:mac/switch-vaults, kb:teams-families-migrate, kb:sync-options

Comments

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

@nicleau The primary vault is the vault you are familiar with and have been using all this time. When you signed up for 1Password for Families you got a few more vaults. Each family member gets a personal vault to store their data with 1Password for Families. Also created is a shared vault for everyone in the family to use.

As for which vault you want to keep your data in that's up to you. If you put it in the personal vault 1Password will handle all the syncing and security. If you keep it in the primary vault then it will either remain on one device or synced via icould/dropbox/wifi/etc.

If you want your husband to have his own vaults you can send him an invite. He will get a personal vault for himself and access to the shared vault. Because of how the software works he will also have a primary vault too. This is because he was given a license from you though 1Password for Families.

If you would like to move things around give this link a look..

Migrate to a Family or Team account

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @nicleau! It looks like Scuba629 beat me to this. I hope that post has been helpful. If not, please feel free to let us know if you have any other questions.

• vsnbry
    vsnbry
    Community Member
    Options

What if I and 3 other family members have personal accounts and I want to open a family account for us. Is it easy to merge?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vsnbry

I'm glad to hear that you're interested in 1Password Families! When you say that you and 3 other family members have personal accounts, do you mean that you've been long time 1Password users and have used the apps the traditional way? If this is the case, then it's very easy to migrate or merge the data into your Family Account. You can see exactly how to do this here: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

If by any chance you mean that you all have our brand new 1Password account then migrating your data into a Family Account is very easy as well. You need to follow the same steps as the video that I linked above :chuffed:

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else that you'd like to know about 1Password :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.