When I select "update existing password" it does not update

gwhiesterman
gwhiesterman
Community Member
edited August 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

Existing password is retained regardless if 1PW auto generates the updated password or I make up my ow--yes, I selected update existing password. If I don't copy and paste it in NotePad on my iMac I'd have no idea what the new password is when auto-generate is used. I am having to update every password 2-3 times because the "update existing password" is failing. Any ideas or solutions? Thanks group.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:For about one month now when I select "update existing password" it does not update. Please advise.

Comments

• gwhiesterman
    gwhiesterman
    Community Member

Update Existing Password selection fails each time (about 20 times in last month). Old PW is retained.

1Password Version: 6.3.2
    Extension Version: 4.5.8
    OS Version: 10.11.6
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:For about one month now when I select "update existing password" it does not update. Please advise.

• Hi @gwhiesterman! Welcome to our support forum. I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the update password feature in your browser. Are there any particular websites that you're having this trouble on? I'd like to try things out there and see if I can find where the issue lies. :)

• gwhiesterman
    gwhiesterman
    Community Member

Thanks, Jacob. Most recently, Wells Fargo, Schwab Brokerage, American Express Delta Airlines and American Express Business, AgileBits for this forum, JC Penney, Sears, Comcast. It is a disincentive for me to update old, weak passwords that are identified from within the application because I can't trust it to really save/update. I prefer to not save passwords in Safari keychain. If I do not paste it somewhere before proceeding, I am doing a request for a new password or to change a password whenever I revisit the site in which it was recently changed.

I've been using 1PW for years but did not really notice this occurring until the last 4-6 weeks.

• @gwhiesterman Well I definitely hear you there! I wouldn't be excited to change my passwords if they weren't being saved either. The good news is, if you're generating your passwords with 1Password, they will be saved automatically even if you're not prompted to update the Login item itself. :) You can find generated passwords in the Passwords category if they haven't been added to a Login.

So, on to the specifics. I just tested this on this forum and Comcast. I don't personally have accounts at the other places and this issue is a little wider than just a few sites for you, so I wanted to start small. The update saved login prompt appeared as expected on those sites, so I'm curious if there's something else going on here. How are you updating your passwords exactly? A step-by-step outline would be quite helpful.

Lastly, please try changing your password on this forum one more time. Make sure to write down the new one somewhere just in case 1Password doesn't prompt you to save it. I'd like you to try doing it two ways. First, generate the password with 1Password. Then, don't generate it and just make one up. Which prompts you to save automatically? For me it was both, and that's the expected behavior.

Talk to you soon! :)

• gwhiesterman
    gwhiesterman
    Community Member

I will do as you suggest. I have always had the passwords generated from within 1PW according to the parameters of each site. L8R

• gwhiesterman
    gwhiesterman
    Community Member

I did as you said for this forum and it worked perfectly.

Yesterday, when I changed a banking password, and selected "Update Existing," it created a new password in 1PW and did not update the existing. But the good news was that I was able to convert the new password to a login then archive the previous login credentials.

I'll just need to keep a closer eye on it. Thank you for your patient assistance.

• @gwhiesterman Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear the forum password change worked. What bank website were you editing your password on, if you don't mind my asking? I'll see if we can look into that as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.