Browser extension switching to desktop app when unlocking

Options
Quantumpanda
Quantumpanda
Community Member

Recently (sometime within the past few weeks), the 1P browser extension has been exhibiting an odd behavior for me in Opera. Since Opera auto-updates both itself and its extensions, I don't know if something changed in either the browser or the extension or both to cause this.

The odd behavior happens when I unlock 1P from the browser extension. Previous ("normal") behavior was that when I unlocked the extension, it would simply display the extension's menu. Now, at some point between when I enter the Master Password in the extension and when the actual menu displays, the 1P desktop app activates, so I have to switch back to the browser and click the extension icon again.

This is happening in Opera 39.0.2256.48, with Universal Unlock turned on and the desktop app already launched. (I have the desktop app launch at login, because I'm frequently referencing or updating info I've stored in it, and I find 1P Mini a bit cumbersome to use for this.) Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to do any testing on this, so I don't know if turning off UU, having the desktop app closed, or using a different browser has any affect on the behavior. I will test these things when I have a reasonable opportunity, but I'm not sure when that will be.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Does anyone have any ideas how it might be fixed?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.1 (610005) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.5.9.3
OS Version: OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Quantumpanda,

I'm sorry you're having an odd issue with the 1Password extension in Opera!

I notice you're using 1Password version 6.1 on your Mac, but the latest version is currently 6.3.2. So the first thing to do is install the latest update - open the main 1Password app on your Mac and go to the menu for 1Password > Check for Updates. Follow the steps to install version 6.3.2. Once the update has been installed, does the extension in Opera work as expected, or does it still open the main 1Password app?

If it's still a problem, please try quitting Opera, then open it again. If the same problem still happens, try rebooting your Mac. After it restarts, test it again to see if there's any change.

If that doesn't help, please check the following setting:

• Open the main 1Password app and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the General tab.
    • Make sure the option for "Always keep 1Password Mini running" is enabled.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• Quantumpanda
    Quantumpanda
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like just the update took care of it. So thanks on that.

But that brought up a different question: why hasn't it been offering me updates? I have automatic update checking turned on, but I haven't seen an update notification in months.

Might it have something to do with another issue I had been meaning to ask about but forgot? The last time I remember seeing an update notification (whenever that was—I really don't know anymore), when I tried to update, I got a warning message that made no sense to me. I remembered seeing it before when I saw it again during this update tonight—and I don't recall having ever seen it prior to version 6.1.

The warning was about extra copies of 1P installed. Yes, it is technically true that I have another copy of 1P installed—but it's on my alternate boot drive (running Mountain Lion, because I still have a few things I occasionally need to run that don't work on Mavericks or later). Why should having an additional 1P installed on a different boot drive cause a problem for the updater? Shouldn't it be concerned with only the drive currently booted from?

I got around the notification by unmounting that drive while I ran the update. The advice in that warning notification, btw, is dangerous, since it tells the user to trash the extra copies and empty the Trash without ever questioning why another copy of 1P might be on a different drive. This advice might be appropriate if the extra were on the same boot drive, but telling the user to delete it off an external boot drive will probably cause frustration when they next boot from that other drive.

So if this is something that hasn't been addressed between 6.1 and 6.3.2, please do so. You may have what you consider good reason to tell the user to delete other copies, but if you don't share that reason with the user, they can only either ignore your warning or blindly follow advice that would lead to other problems later. And I'm of the opinion that it is always a bad idea for a program to tell the user to delete something without telling them why.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Quantumpanda

First of all, if you are Quantum Panda, is it safe to assume that you're running every version of 1Password simultaneously until you observe it and collapse on an observable one? :lol:

Ok, now that my attempt to a physics joke is out of the way we can go on with 1Password! I'm glad to hear that updating 1Password worked for you, and that the initial problem has been solved! I'm not completely sure why you might not be getting notifications to update. Sometimes disabling it, restarting the app and enabling it again helps it restart. I'd recommend you to try that and see what happens.

Sometimes having multiple copies of 1Password interferes with 1Password mini and causes trouble. While you consciously installed an extra copy of 1Password on an extra drive, most people have extra copies because they clicked twice on the download button or because they couldn't find the icon so thought they needed to download again, or similar situations. That's why we make it easy to fix. You can read a bit more about it here: https://support.1password.com/extra-copies-found/.

Now, if what you describe were to happen: someone installed a second copy of 1Password on another drive on purpose but absentmindedly deleted it when they saw the warning, it's not a huge problem either. Keep in mind that deleting the app does not delete the data, and when you download it again it picks up everything right where you left it! It would take very little time to restore it.

It's not always easy to find a balance between how much to explain about things. If it's not enough the scenario that you described can happen, if it's too much people get confused and even scared. Thank you very much for your input and reflections about this,we really appreciate it! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.