1password Mac user want his password on mobile too

Options
Bsfez
Bsfez
Community Member

Waow...

I’m a 1password Mac user.
I have my list of password and all goes well.

I want to have them on my Iphone too in case I need them.

It look to me that I want a very simple thing and it’s starting to be a pain.
I download the 1password app and did a synch thinking it will be enough.

No... I tried to find a doc and I found unusefull information about using 1password on ios or android.
I understood I had to create an account to have them saved at agilebit vault (thing that I don’t like) but I did.
My app show my primary vault (the one from my Mac) but with 0 items.

I can find a sync button but I have no info how it will sync... I certainly don’t want my Mac password deleted.

... Seriously ???

I just need my password to be available on all my device and I don’t want them to be saved anywhere outside my devices.

Possible ?

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: whaterer
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: i don’t want external sync

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

If you don't want to sync outside your own devices and you only have one computer, (and one or more iOS devices) then wi-fi sync is the way to go. I think that AgileBits have very recently changed the wording from "wifi" to "wlan". It isn't the easiest way of syncing, as 1PW needs to be running on both devices for this to work. There is a different way of syncing between two computers.

You don't have to create an account, as that is for the subscription service which does not suit you as data is then stored on servers run by AgileBits. The security is still excellent, and syncing is much more convenient. Many people are happy with that, but many are not, and it is your choice.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bsfez,

Does Danco’s reply help you at all? I do apologize if our documentation has been confusing. Please take a look at this article for information on how to set up sync with a WLAN server:

How to use the WLAN server

• Bsfez
    Bsfez
    Community Member
    Options

I connected my Iphone to my Mac.
    I opened 1password -> Wlan -> Run a Wlan server...
    The small icon "Syncing" on 1password IOS indicate the sync was running and stop.

I’ll check the app, still showing like there is 0 password in my IOS app.

On the setting -> vaults -> primary -> Sync service -> Wlan -> secret -> password -> sync now

I got my password but it could have been more user friendly.

I have to do this everytime ?
    It is not synchronising with my device ?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bsfez,

I'm very sorry this has all been so confusing and frustrating for you! Syncing your 1Password data between your Mac and iPhone should be much easier, and I'm sure we can help to get this all sorted out.

You mentioned something in your first post that I wanted to clarify:

I understood I had to create an account to have them saved at agilebit vault (thing that I don’t like) but I did.

Do you mean that you signed up for a 1Password account? A 1Password account is a subscription service, and one of the benefits is that the vaults that are part of your account will automatically sync to your devices through our own secure servers - all you need to do is sign into your account in the 1Password app on each device. The other sync options (like WLAN, Dropbox, or iCloud) are not used for your account vaults.

You might also have one or more local/standalone vaults in 1Password on your Mac and iPhone. If you have a vault named "Primary", that's a local/standalone vault - in other words, that vault is not part of your account and does not sync through our own servers. A local/standalone vault can be synced via WLAN, Dropbox, or iCloud. It sounds like you enabled the WLAN Server option for your Primary vault, but I'm not sure if you have any data in your Primary vault - it might be in your account vaults instead.

If you signed up for an account, then I think there's some confusion about the difference between local/standalone vaults (like the Primary vault) and the vaults in your account. So the first thing to do is figure out exactly which vaults currently contain your data:

• On your Mac, open the main 1Password app (unlock it if prompted for your master password).
    • Go to 1Password > Switch to Vault from the menubar - this will show you a list of all the vaults that are currently in 1Password on your Mac (including both local/standalone vaults and vaults that are part of your 1Password account).
    • Select the Primary vault - do you see any of your data in the Primary vault?
    • Go back to 1Password > Switch to Vault and select the personal vault from your account - do you see any of your data in that account vault?
    • If you have any other vaults listed in 1Password > Switch to Vault, try checking each one to see which vaults contain your data.

Now, on the other hand, if I misunderstood and you didn't actually sign up for a 1Password account, that should mean you have all your data in your Primary vault, and possibly other local/standalone vaults. In that case, the WLAN option should work to sync that data. You don't need to go through the setup each time, you just need to have 1Password open and unlocked on your Mac and iPhone, and the sync should happen automatically.

I hope this helps and that I haven't caused further confusion! Please let us know how it goes and what you find. Thanks! :)

• Bsfez
    Bsfez
    Community Member
    Options

I’m very thankful for the detailled explanation and I know it take time to write such a post.
    I got it all working using Wlan and as you mentioned it should work auto that’s cool.

Password has to be more and more complex and we need so many to protect our privacy up to the point we (I) don’t remember 90% of them. Most of us have computer, smartphone or tablet and we need our password any where at any time.
    I really think you should have a one click sync all device option (no question asked). :)

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bsfez

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome! It's great to hear that you got it all working out with his help :chuffed:

You're right about how hard it is to remember to have different passwords for as many accounts as we have. I think that nobody remembers all of them, that's exactly where the idea for 1Password came from.

I really think you should have a one click sync all device option (no question asked).

Well, the great news is that we do have something like that! I mean we do ask a question, otherwise how would we know you really are who you say you are? But it's very easy: using 1Password accounts. You only need to set up your devices (a couple of clicks) and everything's available right away! This was one of the main motivation points behind 1Password Accounts :chuffed:

If you have any other questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with, please let us know!

• Bsfez
    Bsfez
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Pilar,

I hope it is ok I disagree with you. :)

I create a my 1password account.
    I opened my 1password app -> preferences -> accounts -> add a device.
    I’m asked to scan the QR code on the other device (no explanation on how)
    I open the 1password IOS app (first time) -> add account -> scan qr code -> enter master password
    Vault is added.

Yeah I should be happy !

Checking it... It is empty. :(

This procedure create a new Vault for my new 1password account.
    It doesn’t use the primary vault I used for years on my Mac.
    So back to the post above.

I ended using the Wlan sync.

Now I’m sure there is a way to move all the data from my Primary vault to my 1password vault but it is still not a one click solution.

Btw, I don’t want to be rude, I don’t trust no one to store my data safely on the web. (I use Icloud or any external storage only for none valuable data).

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bsfez

It's great to hear your opinion, and of course to see things differently! ;) You have a point, if you already had data in 1Password you need to move it first which adds a few clicks to the mix. I know it might be a bit too late for this, but if you're still curious to see how accounts work this video will guide you step by step through the process. You were halfway there! In my personal opinion Wlan sync is more complicated than accounts, but I'm glad you made it work regardless!

I would like to hear your thoughts on how you think this could be make easier, we want you to have the best 1Password experience possible! :chuffed:

• Bsfez
    Bsfez
    Community Member
    Options

I’m happy to help.
    you got a great product !

The simplest thing I would do is add a step "share your existing passwords with all your device" option.
    (if vaults exist already et vaults is not empty)

It can be then added in the setting and also added in a screen after adding a device to make it smooth.

Rewind...

I would explore different workflow.
    a) User create an account (check if other devices -> share ?)
    b) User acquire a new device and install 1password app
    Share passwords over devices ?
    - add your account / no account yet
    etc...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you so much for your feedback, @Bsfez! We truly appreciate it. :)

You'll be happy to know that our developers are working to make this all easier in the future. 1Password accounts are still pretty new, and over time we'll keep improving how they work and integrate with the apps on each platform. We've heard from a few customers like yourself who didn't realize they needed to move their data from their old local/standalone vaults to their new account vaults, and that's one of the things we'd like to improve.

Your Primary vault is what we refer to as a local/standalone vault, because it isn't part of a 1Password account, and it only exists locally on your computer/device unless you use one of the other sync options. The reason your Primary vault isn't part of your 1Password account is because you created it on your Mac before you ever signed up for an account. It's kind of like if you buy a home safe to store some valuable possessions, but then later you rent a safe deposit box at a bank - if you want to store your valuables in the safe deposit box instead of your home safe, you need to move them from one to the other.

The same is true when you have items in your Primary/local vault that you want to move to your new account vault. We don't automatically move them for you because we don't know if that's what you want to do (some people like to keep their Primary vault with certain items in it). However, in the future we might add an option that pops up to ask if you want to move all your items from Primary to your account.

For now, it's actually very easy to move your items from the Primary vault to an account vault. Just switch to your Primary vault, select all items, and go to Item > Share > [account vault name] > Move. In case it helps, we have some more detailed steps to do that here: To import data into your new account

Of course, if you've decided you want to keep using your Primary vault and sync it via WLAN Server, that's fine too! ;) I just wanted to explain a bit more about how to move items to an account vault in case you were interested.

We're here for you if you have more questions about that! :)

This discussion has been closed.