Migrating to 1Password.com account

Options
johnsbrayton
johnsbrayton
Community Member

Congratulations on the subscription service. The recent Dropbox security issues made me eager to stop using Dropbox for 1Password syncing. The 1Password.com account setup process is very slick. The process of setting up a new device with a 1Password.com account is also very slick. However, the process of moving data and switching vaults seems very messy to me.

I wanted for my devices to completely forget about my old Dropbox vault and to use the new 1Password.com vault exclusively. I also wanted my new master password to unlock the app and for my old master password to not work on the new vault. On both OS X and iOS, it seemed the only way to do that was to delete the app's underlying data and set it up from scratch.

I hope this is useful feedback. I love 1Password and recommend it to everyone.

Did the ability for the Mac app to periodically create local backups of the vault go away? I never needed the backups, but I always found their existence reassuring.

John

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: OS X 10.11
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:Migrating to 1Password.com account

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @johnsbrayton

Thank you very much for writing to us and for your very kind words about 1Password! It's great to hear that you're enjoying our new ways to use 1Password!

I wanted for my devices to completely forget about my old Dropbox vault and to use the new 1Password.com vault exclusively.

That's a really good way to do things! On OSX you don't need to delete the apps completely. You can get rid of your old local vaults by going to Preferences > Advanced and then disable "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". I do agree that this could be more intuitive! On iOS you do need to delete the app and install it again, but we might consider a better approach in the future :chuffed:

I also wanted my new master password to unlock the app and for my old master password to not work on the new vault.

If you follow the steps above, then this happens automatically!

Thank you very much for your feedback, we appreciate it very much. While we've taken some steps toward these points, I think we still have some way to go! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.