Can't move to account

Options
Dunn
Dunn
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Families

I have followed your instructions. I have downloaded 1Password6 onto my Mac. The original 1Password is still on my computer. I open 1Password6, sign in (family account shows in Preferences). I select Primary Vault for my original logins and hold down Command while selecting only one item. Choose Share and then Personal Vault. The options copy and move show up but they are grayed out. So cannot do anything. I have reviewed instructions over and over, read online answers and still I am stuck. My 30 days will be up (should have been 6 months, cannot believe I paid for apps on all my devices and don't get more than 30 days) before I even get my items moved.

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
Sync Type: Wi Fi
Referrer: forum-search:do i have to have 1password and 1password6 open to move primary vault

Comments

• Hi @Dunn! Welcome to the forum. :) Is this the guide that you followed so far?

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If so, what is the "original 1Password" that you're referring to? You don't need to install another version of the app to move your items to a family account. All you need to do is move those items from the app you already have. :) I'm sorry this isn't working for you at the moment, though. Could you check a few things please?

• That you are signed in to your account. Choose 1Password -> Preferences from the menu bar when the app is open and click the Accounts tab to see what you are signed in to.
    • That you are in the Primary vault. Click the vault switcher and make sure Primary has a checkmark beside it.
    • Try more than one vault. If your Personal vault isn't letting you move things to it, does the Shared one?
    • Try copy. There's a Copy button in addition to the Move one. Does that work?

My 30 days will be up (should have been 6 months, cannot believe I paid for apps on all my devices and don't get more than 30 days) before I even get my items moved.

You have the rest of September before your trial expires. It sounds like a bit more is going on here though. If you already purchased 1Password on your devices, you have a license for those devices, but that doesn't include an account. 1Password Families is a subscription for sharing 1Password with your family. If you purchased in the last six months, please send your purchase info over to support@1password.com so we can get you a discount on a family account. If you purchased outside that timeframe, a family subscription adds on to what you already have. Learn more in The difference between a 1Password subscription and a standalone license.

Hope that helps for now. Let me know how this goes.

• Dunn
    Dunn
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, those are the instructions I followed. And by accident I managed to move two items at the same time from my Primary vault to my Personal vault. Then tried to replicate and could not until I figured out that it worked when I double clicked on the item while holding down the command key. Apparently the first click grays it out (to something I cannot recall) and the second click makes the item information show up again and then the copy and move is no longer grayed out and I could move the item. One definite problem with all the instructions and answers on here is not distinguishing between 1Password and 1Password 6. I have the 1Password app from the Mac store on my MacBook Air. And had also purchased the apps for my iPhone and iPad. My problem now is that I deleted my Primary vault after being sure everything moved over to 1Password 6. Now I still have both versions on my laptop. Even though I deleted the Primary vault all those items are showing up again across all platforms. First noticed it in the 1Password mini and the extension. So two of everything shows up when I open the mini. Do I now delete 1Password (original app on Mac)? Will this stop the double items showing up and the Primary vault which I thought I deleted? Just wondering. What if I decide to leave the Family subscription. Will I then have to put 1Password from the app store back on my Mac?

• Dunn
    Dunn
    Community Member
    Options

Just to let you know. I am in Germany so our time difference is 6 hours if you are East coast, 7 if Central, etc.

• Dunn
    Dunn
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, so to speed things up a bit. I did some more searching and found Drew_AG response to Bazzamataz on 1 Sept. that was really helpful. So I deleted the Primary vault in the original 1Password app on my Mac. This took care of the double information on my Mac. Luckily, Drew_AG gave good instructions for dealing with IOS devices so I followed that and fixed them too. I am still wondering what to now do with two 1Password apps on my Mac. One shows up as 1Password (the original that I purchased from the app store some time ago, two years maybe) and 1Password 6 which was downloaded when I did the process of starting the Family subscription. Should I have never downloaded that app? This has been a confusing process and must say that the instructions should have been in beta before release as well. LOL. Anyway, so now that I have both, which should be deleted from my Mac?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dunn

I'm sorry to hear that this process hasn't been smooth for you! Thank you for keeping us posted and for letting us know where you are right now! We are working on improving our documentation on an ongoing basis and we appreciate your feedback! I'll be sure to pass it along to the docs team :chuffed:

You can go ahead and delete the extra copy of 1Password, I'd delete the one from the AppStore and keep the one from our site. You only need to go to the applications folder and drag it to the bin. You could have added your account to the 1Password you had, I'm sorry that wasn't clear! The good news is that there's no harm in having downloaded it again, it's very easy to fix it :chuffed:

Please let us know if this does the trick and if your new 1Password account is fully set up!

This discussion has been closed.