Despite Restoring From iCloud Backup, Repair Caused Lost Data. Why?

Penelope Pitstop
Penelope Pitstop
Community Member

I backed up my phone to iCloud before having it repaired. After restoring, everything seemed fine except that one crucial password that I know was on the phone before repair was missing. I use WLAN sync and I know that I hadn't synced with my Mac after adding that crucial password to my iPhone.

I rushed through the recovery process, and I obviously don't understand the relationship between iOS backups and 1Password data, please would someone explain what I did wrong?

Does my 1Password data not get saved in an iCloud backup?

1Password Version: 6.5 (650018)
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: iOS 10.0.0 Beta Build 14A5346a
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Penelope Pitstop: I'm really sorry this has happened to you too! Based on your description, I don't think you did anything "wrong" at all. Unfortunately iCloud backups, in my unpleasant experience, either don't always have the data, it's corrupt, or the restore simply fails to...well, restore everything. You made a reasonable assumption, and, if everything had worked as planned, you'd be okay.

1Password data is included with the app in iCloud (and iTunes) backups. I've found that iTunes backups seem more reliable, but that me be a "luck-of-the-draw" sort of thing. I've had similar problems with both, but more problems with iCloud, probably because that's what I've used most. Normally I'd ponder whether the prerelease OS could be at fault, but alas, I've had the same problem across many hardware and software releases.

The only thing I can suggest with any confidence is to use 1Password's built-in backup/restore feature. As you can imagine, I've had a lot of experience with this, and we've also put a lot of effort into testing it, and I can't recall the last time someone had a problem there. What often happens though is we hear from folks who don't have any backups at all, or have the same issue you and I (and, unfortunately, many others) have experienced where something goes wrong with the iCloud/iTunes backup/restore process.

However, since you were syncing previously, I wonder if the best option in your case would be to delete 1Password for iOS completely, install a fresh copy, and then sync your data over from another device. Let me know what you think!

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply Brenty and the constructive suggestions. In retrospect, I should have simply synced my phone with my computer before having it repaired. However, I no longer use cloud sync and didn't have my computer with me on this occasion.

Are there any plans to let iOS devices become sync servers for 1PW?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Penelope Pitstop: Ohhh I understand — the computer didn't have that data. I'm sorry. I thought you were just trying to do a postmortem on what had gone wrong. My suggestions aren't very helpful after the fact, I'm afraid. :(

I have lost data before, so I am probably too particular about these things. I make multiple backups before even doing a minor OS update. Probably overkill since so far it hasn't mattered. But if something goes wrong, I'll be prepared. I hope.

We don't currently have plans to add a sync server to 1Password for iOS, but it's something we'll continue to consider — especially as we develop new versions, and if and when we decide to overhaul sync on a larger (multi-platform) scale.

This discussion has been closed.