1Password on 2 computers moving to Family, password confusion

MontyMo
MontyMo
Community Member

Hello, we have two computers in our house. A MBP and an iMac. We had a license of 1Password on each computer. We were sharing a Dropbox vault. Each of us used the same password to open the vault. Lets call it "original-password"

On the MBP I have created a family account. I have the account key and new master password. "master-password1" I migrated my existing database to a shared vault. I uninstalled the original 1Password App and deleted the Dropbox vault.

I then shared the vault with my wife on the iMac. She logged into the website and created her Account Key and Master password. "master-password2" I uninstalled the original 1Password App on the iMac

Then I reinstalled 1Password app on both computers. The only way I can get into the 1Password app is to use the "original-password" After opening the app I can see the shared family vault. If I try to change the password in preferences I believe it will be changing the new passwords not the "original-password"

I envisioned each of us to be using our own unique password, "master-password1" or "master-password2"

Are you as confused as I am? Am I missing something? If I can get this figured out, I will also be putting Family on my daughters Mac.

Any thoughts?

THanks
Monty

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MontyMo
    MontyMo
    Community Member

I found it! There are two areas to change a password.

preferences|security|change master password Will change local password
    preferences|account|change password Will change webpage password

Correct?

Monty

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MontyMo

I'm sorry if there's been some confusion with 1Password and how to change Master Passwords! Even if you deleted the app, all the configurations and passwords are kept. You have a couple of options here, you can indeed go to Preferences> Security > Change Master Password and make it match your new Master Password that you're using with Families. You can also stop using local vaults completely by going to Preferences> Advanced and then uncheck "Allow Creation of Vaults outside 1Password Accounts". This will get rid of the local vault and let you use everything with your account only, including the Master Password.

Please let us know how this works for you and if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

• abelj
    abelj
    Community Member

Greetings:

I have a Family Account in my name with a shared vault. It is shared by my wife's and daughter.

My wife keeps her data independently on the standalone version of 1Password on her Mac which is licensed in her name alone. Her objective is to have each of us able to access the others 1Password data. How can she set up her information so that I can get access to it?

Does she have to migrate to the online version of 1Password? Is this something that can be done as an adjunct to my Family Account?

Thanks

• Hi @abelj,

I hope you're having a great weekend so far :)

The way your wife has things set up right now it sounds like she is her own little island, at least her 1Password data is. In order for you to be able to access her data, and vice-versa, she will need to move her data into your Family Account. There are several ways to set things up based on your needs but here is how I would recommend you configure things:

First, both you and your wife should be organizers of your Family Account. This gives both of you the ability to recover family members, which allows you to restore their access to their vaults in the event someone forgets their Master Password or loses their Account Key.

Second, I would recommend that you, your wife, and daughter use your respective Personal vaults to store all your information that is truly personal and you don't want to share.

Lastly, you will need to decide how you want to share the data that you do want to share. Everything you put in the Shared vault will be accessible to everyone in your family, which is great for some things like Wi-Fi passwords, but things like bank account information you may not want to share with your daughter. What I did in this case was I created a Parents vault which I use to share financial information with my wife Sara, and Jack and Abby don't have any access. It works pretty well for my family and I could see it working well for yours as well.

You wife can migrate all her existing data to the new Families vaults so she won't have to start over or anything like that.

I hope that helps. Please let me know :)

• abelj
    abelj
    Community Member

Thanks Dave. Will try to follow your helpful suggestion.
    At the Administrative Console, under the "Family" Listing, I see my wife's name listed. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to change her status to "Organizer".

Once I do this with your help, I will move one to try to migrate her individual data to the Family Vault.

After over 53 yrs of marriage, no need to keep separate info, but I understand why, with a young family you want to that.

Hope you hand continues to heal.

Abel

• @abelj On behalf of Dave, you're welcome. :) To make her an organizer, look for the toggle in the top right of her account page in the Admin Console:

Let us know how that goes! If you have any questions we're happy to help.

• abelj
    abelj
    Community Member

Got it. Very helpful

• Glad to hear it. :) We're here if you need anything else.

This discussion has been closed.