Not updating new username on accounts

Options

If I change my username on a site, log out, and log back in with the new username, 1Password does not notice that change and update its record for that website.

OS X 10.11.6, 1Password 6.3.2

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:username not updatiung

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bobrocke

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with 1Password. I'm going to move your post to our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" category so the right people will be able to see it and we can help you better, I hope you don't mind :chuffed:

Could you please tell us if this happens on every site or an specific one? Could you give us an example of sites where you've noticed this? Can you please tell us as well which browser you're using and if you experience the same thing while trying other browsers?

This will help us have a better picture of what's going and get to the bottom of the issue :chuffed:

• bobrocke
    bobrocke
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know that the problem happens on given sites, but I see it happen almost every time I log on to a site with a new username - 1Password doesn't notice.

Chrome is my primary browser and I see it happen all the time there, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the same behaviour in Safari.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bobrocke: I'm sorry you're having so much trouble! This is really site-specific since they're coded differently, so please be sure to let us know the URLs where you're encountering issues — whether with saving or filling — so we can investigate and improve 1Password. Thanks in advance! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bobrocke: Yike! Yeah, makes my eyes cross! I don't have an Adobe account, but I'll find someone who does so we can test this and see if we can find a fix for a future version. Thanks for letting us know! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bobrocke: Just to confirm, I think I may have overlooked a potentially important detail in your comments: are you only changing usernames when this happens? 1Password should offer to update a login when you change the password, but, as far as 1Password is concerned, a different username is not the same login. So, just to make sure we're on the same page, you're changing just the username, logging out completely, and then when logging in with the new username you're not getting an autosave prompt?

• Hi @bobrocke! Brenty asked the team if someone with an Adobe account could try reproducing this. I've got one, so I gave it a try. I used our beta extension as well as the stable one in Chrome, Safari, and Firefox, and the prompt appeared as expected. Do you have another site we could try? :)

• bobrocke
    bobrocke
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: "So, just to make sure we're on the same page, you're changing just the username, logging out completely, and then when logging in with the new username you're not getting an autosave prompt?"

Yes. And that makes it a different login? I see. But then, shouldn't 1Password offer to save a new record?

• bobrocke
    bobrocke
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob: Thanks for double checking that. Brenty may be onto something about what I expected and how 1Password thinks.

I'll post another site when I hit one to confirm all this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

@bobrocke: Okay that makes sense then. I'm sorry for misunderstanding initially, and that 1Password behaves in a way that you didn't expect. That's not ideal, so I'd like to see if we can improve this.

Yes. And that makes it a different login? I see. But then, shouldn't 1Password offer to save a new record?

Yes and no. Some background: 1Password won't offer to save a new login if the password matches. That's the thing it's most concerned with after all, since ideally we're all using a long, strong, unique password for each site. So a match there tells 1Password it's already been saved. It starts with the password since, if it doesn't already have a login saved at all, it needs to; and then if there is a login saved with a different password, it probably needs to update that login. Also, if only the username is changed, this could easily be a typo or user error, so it could quickly get confusing and frustrating if 1Password repeatedly offers to save a login we already think we have. And finally, it's actually pretty rare to change only the username, since, for example, if I'm concerned about my account being compromised due to a breach or a weak password, I'll probably want to change the password too.

I think this is a good way of handling it, but I'd like to hear what you think since it definitely threw you off. Frankly, because 99% of the time I'm testing for password saving issues, I had trouble comprehending that you we're doing anything with the password at all! :lol:

If it's something we can improve in the future (without breaking things for those other considerations I mentioned, since username-only changes are less common) then that's even better for everyone. Thanks again for your patience with me on this. We'll continue to discuss this internally as well, so if you have any questions about my explanation or suggestions on what we could do better, please let me know! :)

P.S: And keep it coming with any other login saving, filling, or updating issues you encounter! ;)

• bobrocke
    bobrocke
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: I understand. And don't make a mess of 1Password for a rare case. The reason I've bumped into this is that I have changed email address and too many web sites use your email address as your username. So I go to the web site, change the email, log out (or get logged out), and then log in with the new username. Since 1Password doesn't (shouldn't?) notice, I go to 1Password and change the username there, too.

I need to watch Chrome closer and see if it's seeing the username change as it does a password change.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I understand. And don't make a mess of 1Password for a rare case.

@bobrocke: Absolutely! But if we can find a good solution, we'll be happy to implement it. :)

The reason I've bumped into this is that I have changed email address and too many web sites use your email address as your username. So I go to the web site, change the email, log out (or get logged out), and then log in with the new username. Since 1Password doesn't (shouldn't?) notice, I go to 1Password and change the username there, too.

Ah, I see! Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I can only imagine that gets a bit tedious, so I'm sorry that 1Password isn't more help with that at present. :blush:

I need to watch Chrome closer and see if it's seeing the username change as it does a password change.

By all means, don't hesitate to report any issues you encounter! After all, it isn't your job to try to intuit why 1Password works one way or another. That's what we're here for. And if you're having any trouble at all, even if it's "just" a misunderstanding, we want to hear about it! 1Password should not only "make sense" but also "just work", and when it doesn't, that means there's room for improvement. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.