otakustay
otakustay
Community Member
edited September 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

In many cases where login form contains a "captcha" field, users have to:

1. manually navigate to the captcha textbox
  2. enter captcha code
  3. forward to login

It could be a better experience if 1password auto focus to the captcha textbox, selecting all content (in case 1password save the first captcha code and filled it) so users can directly input captcha code and to forward to login

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

@otakustay: That's an interesting idea! I'm not sure it's as simple as that, since even finding the username and password fields can often be challenging. But it's certainly something we can consider for a future version. :)

However: CAPTCHAs... :rage:

Are there specific sites you use frequently that require this? It may help to look at specific examples.

• teriross
    teriross
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to add my vote to support captchas. We are using Better WordPress reCAPTCHA (2.0.3) on https://www.servicememberscivilreliefact.com/wp-admin/ . On our site, as well as others that I visit using the same Wordpress plugin, it simply requires the visitor to "click" in the box to prove you are not a robot. As it stands now, when 1Password fills the login and password, the user gets a failed attempt message as they didn't "click" on the robot field. Can 1Password support the addition of the click?

• teriross
    teriross
    Community Member
    Options

And yes, I could choose "never" on the autosubmit option for sites that support captchas, but would love for 1Password not require us to do that. Thanks for your consideration.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@teriross: If you're asking that 1Password actually click to handle the CAPTCHA programmatically, this will not work. After all, that's exactly what the CAPTCHA is designed to prevent. Also, 1Password isn't able to click anything since it wouldn't know where anyway.

And additionally, the per-item "never" autosubmit setting is explicitly there for exactly this type of situation: where you want 1Password to fill your login credentials, but you need or want to interact with the page yourself before submitting the form. So I wonder if I'm misunderstnding what your'e asking.

But again, if you're asking that 1Password automate the circumvention of protections against automated filling, I'm not sure that's an arms race we want to get involved in. It's the reason that so many things like this are user-hostile in the first place: because some people abuse the system, and websites respond by putting up more obstacles. :(

• teriross
    teriross
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. You understood me. The answer is that I will use the "never" autosubmit setting. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great! It's definitely useful in these situations — especially when I have to enter a "token" to login to financial sites. Having 1Password not submit when we need to take additional steps first is much better than getting locked out. Cheers! :)

• otakustay
    otakustay
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

In China captchas are all over the web, they are usually placed after the password textbox and are followed by an img element

For developer use, I think it could be enough to provide a "focus field with name [ ]" option in 1password and we can fill the name attribute ourselves

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @otakustay,

The current behaviour is we will always leave focus in a field that 1Password has filled, preferring a password field wherever possible. The reason for favouring the password field is because most sites will respond if the user presses the return key with focus on a password field as a way of submitting the form. By only considering the fields which we've filled we ensure a certain level of predictability.

Now we can consider the idea of adding another option so a user can define which field focus should be left on but I don't want to give you any false hope, I imagine it wouldn't be a high priority. The reasons why are such a feature would likely only be used by a small number of people and the benefit doesn't seem massive. Every feature request basically has to get ranked based on its cost-benefit value and those that offer the most benefit to the largest percentage of our user base gets priority. This isn't to say it won't be considered but we'd really want to see a large demand given what feels like a limited gain. For example, if focus is left on the password field and the captcha field is after that what happens if you use the tab key, does focus shift to the captcha field?

We do consider all suggestions so I'm definitely not saying no, merely that my opinion is that it would struggle to get development time over the number of other items demanding attention.

This discussion has been closed.