[FF Developer Edition] 1Password extension's popup very slow + keyboard shortcut not working at all

Options
0rangutan
0rangutan
Community Member
edited September 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,

The 1Password extension isn't working very well for me. The keyboard shortcut doesn't work at all. On a website that I am visiting for the first time in the session, clicking on the 1Password toolbar icon takes >10 seconds for the popup to actually show up. If I click the toolbar icon again, the popup shows up nearly instantly.

I have tried the usual suggestions offered to this, including those in the Knowledge Base article. So I have tried both the stable and the beta builds for both the main program and the browser extensions, I have tried the whole 'change shortcut (to something obscure even) -> restart helper -> restart browser' routine, I have tried installing and uninstalling the program and the extension in all permutations possible but nothing works. I have also tried letting the main program keep running while trying to work with the extensions (I usually don't keep it running) but that has made no difference. I have also tried looking into the Browser Console but there are no errors thrown by the extension.

I am on Firefox Developer Edition v50.0a2 (2016-09-07) (I have e10s disabled). I have had to migrate to the Developer Edition because of the add-on signing enforcement and my need for a few unsigned add-ons. I realise that 1Password only supports stable releases, so I spent half of yesterday trying out all the alternatives - importing, exporting, setting them up and so on. I found out that nothing suits me better than 1Password does.

I would like to continue using 1Password. Please suggest some workarounds. I don't mind the hotkey not working much - I can use Autohotkey to redirect the 'ctrl + \' keypresses as a click to the coordinates where the toolbar icon is (it is a horrible way of doing things, I know, but I don't have much choice) - but waiting for 10, sometimes upto 20 seconds for the popup to show up is mildly infuriating. Is there anything that I can do?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: for what it's worth, the 'do you want to save this login' kind of dialog boxes show up without delay.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604, 4.6.0.BETA-613
Extension Version: 4.5.9
OS Version: Windows 10 x64, 1607 (Anniversary Update)
Sync Type: N/A

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @0rangutan. Sorry for the problem you're having. While the latest stable releases of Safari (Mac only), Firefox, Chrome, and Opera are the officially supported browsers, we do recognize Firefox Developer Edition and allow it to talk to 1Password. I've been in FFDE for Mac quite a bit the last few days doing some other work and I haven't noticed any issues there.

It sounds to me like perhaps the 1Password helper isn't started for you before you try using it the first time. If the extension can't find 1Password helper, it has a process it goes through to try to start it up, and this could take a little bit before the helper is available and connected. Once you have a working 1Password extension (after that initial delayed experience) if you quite FFDE and relaunch it, do you have a similar delay on first use or is it just the first time you use the extension after a restart or something like that?

If you still have trouble, try restarting 1Password helper before launching FFDE and see if that makes a difference.

Let us know what you find.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• 0rangutan
    0rangutan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for responding.

do you have a similar delay on first use or is it just the first time you use the extension after a restart or something like that

Unfortunately, I have the delay for the popup even though the browser / extension have been running for a while and I have even used the same to login to other websites. I can also verify from the Task Manager that Agile1pAgent.exe is running, which, I believe, is the helper.

Pretty much the only pattern I can find is that in every session, the popup takes a while to show up for websites that I haven't yet tried to login (using 1Password) even once. So, as an example, a typical scenario may look like the following (websites are just an example):

1. Start Firefox (FWIW, I have FF set to clear all history, cookies etc. upon exit).
    2. Go to gmail.com. Click 1P's toolbar icon. Wait for ~10 seconds. Login. Log out.
    3. Go to reddit.com. Click 1P's toolbar icon. Wait for ~10 seconds. Login. Log out.
    4. Go back to gmail.com or reddit.com. Click 1P's toolbar icon. Popup shows up instantly.
    5. Go to amazon.com. Click 1P's toolbar icon. Wait for ~10 seconds again.

I can't say with certainty that this is what happens every time, but I am sure it is the case almost always. I will try and check if the above pattern is reproducible.

Besides, the keyboard shortcuts not working at all - despite browser / helper restarts and shortcut changes while shortcuts of other add-ons continue to work - is still not explained by any of this.

BTW, does the 1P extension send any error / warning messages to the Browser Console? Also, could the fact that the browser is 64 bit may have anything to do with this?

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That might make more sense. It sounds like the helper is taking quite a while to locate the Logins for those domains. Once it has primed the cache, then it can perform subsequent lookups much quicker. Out of curiosity, do you have the same experience on sites where you have just one or two Logins or does it happen more with sites where there are multiple Logins for the same domain?

• 0rangutan
    0rangutan
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

GMail is the only site for which I have >1 login - I have 3 for it. I don't think the number of logins is playing a factor into this. Besides, I am already seeing that the scenario I described above is not reproducible. I logged into this website when I made my last comment, logged off almost immediately after and then returned just now to find that the popup is taking time again. Since this most recent login (so just the past couple of minutes), the popup has been showing up instantly. I will keep checking and see when it starts taking time again and report back.

Edit: OK, it happened again. Since the time this comment was originally posted (~25 mins), I have kept coming back to this site - I must have done it 5-6 times - to see if the popup shows up right away, except that just this time, it didn't. I have no idea what to make of this, since nothing that I did during this time stands out.

Could you confirm that 1Password actually maintains a cache of sites it has searched for, and that 1P sends no error messages to the Browser Console? I am thinking it may be an incompatibility with another add-on. I will do some more tests, possibly on a stable FF build too, and report back.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@0rangutan: I'm sorry for the trouble here. I think it may simply be a performance issue. 1Password 4's aging codebase is not as efficient as we'd like, especially in this age of slower multicore machines.

Are you by any chance using OPVault? This brings a couple challenges with it: stronger encryption overall (which has greater overhead to decrypt) and also the overview data (title and URL, which is crucial for searching and login matching) is also encrypted. So in that case any time you try to use a login, 1Password needs to first perform decryption to determine what matches.

One thing that may help is disabling the Multiple URLs feature in Preferences > Logins to cut down on the work 1Password needs to do to load logins...though I fear that may already be disabled. Please let me know what you find!

• 0rangutan
    0rangutan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response.

I am using .agilekeychain, which I think is not OPVault.

Yeah, Multiple URLs is already disabled there.

If it's not too much to ask, would it be possible for you to confirm that 1P's hotkeys, specifically, work for you on the latest FFDE? It might help me narrow things down somewhat. Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @0rangutan,

I can confirm 1Password for Windows keyboard shortcuts work with Firefox Developer Edition. Indeed we ourselves use the developer edition for the final tests for the same reason you do - it's the only way to install an unsigned extension. I always use the ctrl + alt + \ keyboard shortcut when testing to ensure the new extension can fill an identity or Credit Card item and the ctrl + \ keyboard shortcut for ensuring filling with a Login item works.

Can you test a theory please. Can you create a brand new vault and open that in 1Password for Windows. Do you see the same delays in opening an empty vault that you're experiencing with your current vault?

• 0rangutan
    0rangutan
    Community Member
    Options

I created a new vault, restarted my browser and the hotkey started working with absolutely no delay! So I then switched to my original vault and thankfully, the hotkey continued to work and there is no delay either. I have zero idea as to how this worked, but it works now and that's all I care about :chuffed:

Thank you all for your help!

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @0rangutan,

I confess I was curious to see if you saw any difference with an empty vault but I didn't think you would experience any improvement when returning to your existing vault. Let us know if the issue returns.

This discussion has been closed.