Multiple PC sync?

Options
xVinci
xVinci
Community Member

Hi,

I'll keep it short: Why is there no option to sync the mobile vault with more than 1 computer? I use one desktop and two laptops for business reasons and am strongly missing some "merge" feature between multiple vaults, which the WiFi sync does perfectly (no matter if I add an item on android or on the desktop - they will be merged on sync). But the Android app will ignore any additional PCs I try to sync to.

On the other hand, there is no fast and easy way to sync two different vaults via a usb stick (suppose I add item x on pc1 and item y on pc2, I can only merge these two copies manually by moving each item.. a lengthy process).

And no, my agilekeychain will not be placed on Dropbox.

What is your best suggestion and what are your plans for the future in this regard?

Thank you,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @xVinci. With syncing using a WLAN server, the computer acts as a server, which is why the computer can sync with multiple mobile devices, but not with another computer. While might be possible to support syncing this way in the future, it would be a major undertaking. We do have an open feature request for this, though, and I'll add your vote. ref: OPM-2091

We've recently introduced our own hosted service which we built from the ground up which I recommend if you don't want to use Dropbox.. For the moment, the only way to sync between your computers if you want to avoid any cloud services is using Folder sync between your desktops (as you mentioned), and the WLAN server between one computer and your Android.

I can't say what the future will bring but right now Folder sync or a 1Password account is your best bet.

Let us know if you need anything else!

• xVinci
    xVinci
    Community Member
    Options

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. While I understand why that would not work Computer to Computer, my question was related to a "one mobile to multiple PCs" setup, and that's the part I do not understand. The app even says "ignoring xx" when finding a new PC. So this is something that has been programmatically included by you, and I do not really understand why this limitation was necessary. Also, removing it and allowing sync from one phone to multiple PCs would probably be quite easy to manage.

Thanks for clarification.

• Hi @xVinci. The mobile devices need to be paired to the computer (WLAN server) using a secret. The secret required for pairing with one computer is wiped out when you pair it with a different computer. Since 1Password for Android can only be configured to sync with a single vault on a single computer (when syncing using a WLAN server), it will only resolve service from the computer it's looking for, and it will ignore other computers on the network, which is why you see that notification.

I've let the developers know you are interested in syncing a single mobile device with multiple desktop computers, but there are technical hurdles which make it much more difficult than simply allowing one device to store a single secret for pairing. So I can't promise it will ever be possible.

This discussion has been closed.