To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What Happened? [Account Key changed on 1Password account]

Eliz
Eliz
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Memberships

My 1Password Personal account is saying my account key changed! I'm unable to login, or anything. What the hell happened?

1Password Version: 6.4.4
Extension Version: NA
OS Version: iOS
Sync Type: 1Password Personal

Comments

• Eliz
    Eliz
    Community Member

I really need someone from AgileBits to call me, this isn't good at all.

• Eliz
    Eliz
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

Support ID: #UUP-81776-388 This is extremely urgent.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Eliz,

I'm sorry you've run into trouble with the Account Key for your 1Password account. We received your email and someone will be contacting you there as soon as possible to help you regain access to your account.

ref: UUP-81776-388

• Eliz
    Eliz
    Community Member

Hey @sjk,

The information you guys sent me is irrelevant, your site says it starts with that but the app says otherwise. Check the response, please, 1Password Personal is completely broken.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Eliz,

Sorry that you're still unable to access your account. We'll keep the conversation going privately through email to help get this fixed for you. There can be additional information that shouldn't be shared on this public forum. Thanks!

• Eliz
    Eliz
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

Hi @sjk,

It's just really important because I'm unable to sync passwords I really need.

• Eliz
    Eliz
    Community Member

Hey @sjk,

Did you guys get my latest reply?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

We've received your reply, @Eliz. I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you right now. Your patience is appreciated as we help get this sorted out for you. I can assure you we are actively working on it and will contact you right away through email as soon as there's new information.

• Eliz
    Eliz
    Community Member

Hey @sjk,

Well, I don't have much patience when this issue is completely impairing my ability to do any work. Please have this fixed by EoD.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Laura is busy doing all she can to resolve this as quickly as possible, @Eliz. That's why she hasn't emailed you again yet.

• Eliz
    Eliz
    Community Member

@sjk,

When this is all done, will I be getting a prorated credit for what is effectively service downtime?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Eliz,

Laura has followed up with you in email about prorated credit. I'm happy to see you've regained access to your 1Password account and am truly sorry that your work day was disrupted. I hope the rest of your day and week is wonderful! :)

• wmwolf
    wmwolf
    Community Member

This happened to me, too, today (still awaiting a non-robo response from 1password support).

It seems unlikely that this is an isolated occurrence for both @Eliz and me on the same day. Could we get an explanation of what's going on here?

• Eliz
    Eliz
    Community Member

@wmwolf,

Hey, did you downgrade to a Personal Account? If so, you need to login from https://my.1password.com/. It's a UI fail (they let you use your old subdomain for 30 days before you have to use the shared one).

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

I am not affected myself so I don't know what the deal is here exactly. But I think the situation here shows why it is crucial that you add the ability to have local backups of your data. I do believe you when you say that you take good care of our data and that you probably back it up better than many customers do themselves. But it doesn't change that there is a single point of failure that can be very disruptive for the customer even if it is resolved fairly fast.

• Eliz
    Eliz
    Community Member

@pervel,

That said, you do get to keep your local database. It just won't sync new entries, which was critical to what I needed since I didn't have the device with the new passwords on me.

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

@Eliz, fair enough. But I think my point about single point of failure is still relevant. A problem on the server-side could potentially wipe all local data. I have no doubt that the data can be restored by manual intervention by AgileBits. But this could take hours of valuable time.

• wmwolf
    wmwolf
    Community Member

@Eliz,

That was precisely the problem. Fortunately my old account key worked at the new domain (though evidently one must not include the hyphens...). Thanks for saving me from your struggles!

Was this clearly advertised during the downgrade process? Seems like the transition period should be much shorter (or reminders periodically pop up during login), because I have no recollection of being told I was losing my old domain.

At the least, I'm much more confident in 1Password's security since it seems this was a timed destruction of an existing account that I had either never known or had forgotten. The error messages need to be updated though, both on the web app and for hardware apps to let downgraded users understand that their account hasn't been downgraded so much as it has been allowed to live for a short period before forcing you to use a completely distinct, yet practically identical account. It really threw me off the trail when my phone tried to tell me what my account key should look like.

• Eliz
    Eliz
    Community Member

@wmwolf,

Yeah, my account key worked the same regardless, it was just a bad UI and not informing me I had to move. It didn't seem clearly advertised.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Eliz, @wmwolf: I'm really sorry for the confusion and frustration there, but I'm glad to hear you were able to login with the correct URL. We'll be sure to make this clearer in the messages (and perhaps add additional reminders during and after account migration). :blush:

@pervel: To be clear, the 1Password subscription services are not hosted on a single server, so there is a lot of redundancy to avoid the "single point of failure" issue. And even if all of AWS (and therefore all servers hosting 1Password subscriber data were down completely), you still have a local copy to get you through it. And of course if the server is down it can't remotely delete your local data either.

You probably haven't even noticed when we've had scheduled downtime. I personally get those emails and just kind of shrug, because I'm still able to use 1Password the way I always do. It's completely transparent. Now, if my internet connection goes down, that's another story... :-1: :lol:

This discussion has been closed.