To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do I change my master passphrase for my MAC after I joined accounts

Options
smhaas
smhaas
Community Member

I joined accounts and moved my passwords successfully to the account. I also connected all my apps on IOS and the MAC to the account. I then unfortunately had to change my master passphrase, because the old one was maybe revealed to a third person. I changed the passphrase in my accounts settings. Then in my apps I had to enter this passphrase to access accounts. So far so well, everything worked. But now I have to change the master passphrase for the apps. In IOS I was successful. But on the MAC under PREFERENCES-> SECURITY the button to change the master password does not show. So there I still have to use my old passphrase, wich is a severe security problem. What should I do?

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smhaas

Thank you for writing to us about this. The Master Password that unlocks 1Password is always the first one to be added. Have you deleted your Primary (local) Vault? If you have then you should be able to just unlock the app using the Master Password for the account, if this is not the case then something else is going on.

If you haven't, then you can do it by going to Preferences > Advanced and then disable "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts", this should take care of it.

If you do this and you still have issues, please let us know so we can dig a little bit deeper into this :chuffed:

• smhaas
    smhaas
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that worked well.

• Thanks for the update @smhaas! If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.