Extension breaks Google 2FA on both Mac and iOS

Options

I have encountered a very interesting issue in the past week. I have 1P installed on both my Mac (OS: Sierra) and iOS devices (iOS 10.0.1). With the extension enabled for both Safari and Chrome on my Mac, and the Safari extension enabled on my iPhone, I have a problem logging into my Google account. If I browse to accounts.google.com or do a "sign in with Google" sign in, I can enter my email address and my password, but as soon as I enter my password and go to the next stop, it takes me to Google's 404 page. It doesn't matter whether I use the 1P extension for filling the password or not, it just doesn't work.

One note: this has only been a problem with my gmail account. We use Google Apps for work in my company and I do not have this problem with that account, even though I have the exact same configuration (2FA using the Google App to approve logins on both accounts).

In order to narrow down the cause of the problem, I started disabling extensions on Chrome and Safari on my Mac. it wasn't until I disabled the 1P extension that things started to work again. Same on my iPhone: once I disabled the Safari extension, login flow started working properly.

1Password Version: 6.5-BETA16
Extension Version: Safari: 4.5.8
OS Version: macOS Sierra
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@therealkris: I login to my Google Accounts a lot myself, but I haven't done so on the prerelease iOS or macOS, so I wonder if that may be part of the differences you're seeing. I am, however, really confused about what you're reporting. For example, you're listing version information for your Mac, but also referring to iOS in your description. To be clear, the iOS extension is a system service quite different and unrelated to the browser-specific extensions we offer on macOS. Are you really unable to login to Google on both platforms? In the case of the browser extensions, these are running in the browser whether you invoke them or not. But the iOS extension isn't running unless you select it.

Can you be exact about the OS, 1Password, and (if applicable) browser versions you're using on each device, the precise steps you're taking, and the URL where you're running into this issue? If we can reproduce this, we should be able to find a solution. Thanks in advance! :)

• therealkris
    therealkris
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, versions:

macOS Sierra
    1Password App: 6.5-BETA16
    Safari Extension: 4.5.8
    Safari: 10.0
    Chrome Extension: 4.5.9.90
    Chrome: 54.0.2840.16

iOS 10.0.1 (Public release)
    1Password iOS: 6.4.4

Next, yes, I am "really" unable to login on both Mac and iOS when the extension is enabled.

Flow ON BOTH PLATFORMS:
    Be logged out.
    Browse to accounts.google.com
    Enter email address (***@gmail.com)
    Hit Next
    Enter Password
    Hit Sign In
    *** This is where it goes wrong ****
    Reach this page: https://accounts.google.com/signin/challenge expecting to see the message "Open the google app on your phone to approve login". Instead, reach Google's 404 page

This happens consistently while the extension is enabled on the Mac. It happens most of the time while the extension is enabled on iOS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Reach this page: https://accounts.google.com/signin/challenge expecting to see the message "Open the google app on your phone to approve login". Instead, reach Google's 404 page

@therealkris: I think this may be the difference then. I have never seen this message logging into Google. Can you tell me what this "google app" message is referring to? Is it a specific setting you've configured on your account? Is Google perhaps trying to use a URL scheme to open this "google app" (though I can't imagine why this would be on a Mac)? The reason I say this is that the 1Password extensions use Javascript for their functionality, so it's possible that a Google script could have a bad interaction (though, again, iOS extensions are only even in memory when actively open). And actually, I'm getting Chrome 53 as the latest version here, so I wonder if the beta could be related if you're using that. Does this happen to you with the stable release? So far I'm not able to reproduce this. Let me know what you find!

• therealkris
    therealkris
    Community Member
    Options

The Google app is the Google Search app on iOS. There is an option now in your Google account to use two factor authentication with app approvals instead of a code. See attached image. When I turned off 2FA, I was able to get things to work again, but with 2FA enabled and the 1Password extension on, I encounter the problem I've described.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @therealkris,

Can you try the following for us please.

1. Disable all extensions except for the 1Password extension.
    2. Clear the Browser's cache.

Do you still see the same issue?

Unfortunately, like Brenty I've been unable to replicate this. Each time I try I reach the 2FA screen I manage to do so with no issue. I do like to purge the browser caches on a regular basis though and I've certainly been there in the past where an error page has been cached. Obviously if there is a bug we will want to fix it but first we need to figure out how to reproduce as we seem to be missing an important clue at the moment. Hopefully we can figure this out.

This discussion has been closed.