IE 11 Browser Support on Windows 10

Hyde
Hyde
Community Member

Hi

Does your family application work with IE11 on Windows 10 please? Either out of the box or in Beta? If beta, could I have a download link please?

I did find a browser extension topic on this site but a post, today I think, said it was supported in Beta only but the thread and response wasn't too specific.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Hyde! Welcome to the forum. :) Hope your day is going well.

Internet Explorer is actually at the end of Microsoft's life cycle, so I don't see us adding support for it in the future:

Internet Explorer End of Support - Microsoft

I'd recommend moving on from it as well. Chrome, Firefox, and Opera are all supported by 1Password.com. We also support Edge, which is the native browser in Windows 10. :) The browser extension works with the first three, but we're waiting on extension capability in Edge so we can create one there as well. Hope that helps!

• Hyde
    Hyde
    Community Member

Good thanks. Thanks for coming back to me.

I'd like to move from IE11 to Edge too, although it's principle stumbling block for me is that you can't truncate the shortcut text in the Favourites bar, Doh! Unfortunately, until Microsoft stops enforcing its browser on a user I'm not about to install yet another one that increases my attack vector and uses up hard disk space. It's a stance I might have to relax, if only in favour of Chrome, since that's the equivalent issue in the Android world.

Which does raise another question incidentally...

Is the Family app supported on Samsung Galaxy products, notably the S5 & Note 4? The reason I ask is that Samsung includes an 'Internet' Browser. It's not clear to me if this is their own browser or a re-badged version of Chrome. Especially as the Chrome app doesn't appear in the phones app listings.

• Hyde
    Hyde
    Community Member

Actually that End of Life support is only referring to versions of IE before 11. Somewhat vaguely, it states that IE11 will be supported throughout the life of Windows 10. That's odd, given that Windows 10 is a continually evolving OS???

• @Hyde No problem. Edge does have a ways to go, so I hear you there. I'm a Chrome user personally and it's been great for me. Opera is cool at times as well. Perhaps give those a try?

Is the Family app supported on Samsung Galaxy products, notably the S5 & Note 4?

Good question. The minimum version of Android you'll need is 5.0. Learn more in System requirements for 1Password.

Actually that End of Life support is only referring to versions of IE before 11. Somewhat vaguely, it states that IE11 will be supported throughout the life of Windows 10. That's odd, given that Windows 10 is a continually evolving OS???

Good point! :lol: However, there's a key word here:

Internet Explorer 11 is the last version of Internet Explorer, and will continue to receive security updates, compatibility fixes and technical support on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

They don't recommend finding another browser, but you'll notice that Edge is the default browser in Windows 10, and for good reason. :)

• Hyde
    Hyde
    Community Member

Yeah, both those devices are running Android 6+, it's not the Android version that's key here, it's the browser app being used. Much the same way that you state your application runs on Windows 10 but the Browser compatibility is harder to establish. Especially as out of the box Windows 10 has IE11 & Edge, not Chrome or anything else and has been that way, live, for over a year.

But, in essence, it comes down to the fact that you support Windows 10 and Edge is coming. Nothing that I use is supported today?

Which is a real shame having opened and immediately closed, a subscription to LastPass, as the support they declare for Families is implemented in a really weird fashion.

Do you have, not looked yet ;-) a newsletter I could subscribe to that lets me know when you've added support for Edge? In the meantime I'll download the free Android app and see what it makes of the Samsung browser. Are there any restrictions in the free app that means this wouldn't be a useful test?

Cheers :)

• @Hyde Perfect. I wanted to cover that first. 1Password for Android is actually a bit different than other platforms. It has a custom keyboard that does filling for you, so you can use most apps or browsers:

Use the 1Password keyboard to fill passwords on your Android device

But, in essence, it comes down to the fact that you support Windows 10 and Edge is coming. Nothing that I use is supported today?

Well, the operating system is so you can use the 1Password app for Windows. :) Edge support is not coming for a while because the browser doesn't export extensions right now, so there's not much we can do. I'm sorry we don't have something better for you right now. We're working on making browser support for the top three browsers a lot better, and I hope you give those a try. There's also a mini version of 1Password that runs in the task bar. You can copy and paste your password from there.

Do you have, not looked yet ;-) a newsletter I could subscribe to that lets me know when you've added support for Edge?

Totally! Just head to https://agilebits.com/newsletter and sign up. We only send out big updates once a month, and sometimes once every other month. Edge will absolutely be included in that, but as I mentioned before, the browser itself needs extension support before we can start building something.

Are there any restrictions in the free app that means this wouldn't be a useful test?

Nope. The free 6 months of 1Password promo we're running covers everything for 6 months. It's like an extended limitless trial. :)

• Hyde
    Hyde
    Community Member

Nice!

Just downloaded the Android app but not seeing any interaction with the Samsung Browser, so just wanted to check I've got this setup correctly...

In your app I included a Login for this website.

Then, using the Google search typed '1password forum' and it returns a set of links, the top one being this site. I follow that link and in the Samsung browser I click the login link for this website. But nothing gets 'auto' completed??? Does that mean the app doesn't work with the Samsung browser or have I just got how this works wrong?? I was also expecting some feedback about the strength of the password used here from the app and once I add more logins report duplications where they exist? ;-)

Cheers.
    PS - Thanks for the newsletter link.

• @Hyde Ah, that's not quite how it works. Once you open the link, you need to tap the fields since it's a keyboard and interacts with text fields. Please give the filling guide I mentioned in my last post a read. That should help clear things up.

• Hyde
    Hyde
    Community Member

Sorry, getting you tell me stuff I could look up for myself.

I've enabled your keyboard, started the service and enabled the filling stuff. Your keyboard is now listed as an option from the android Language & Input menu in Settings. But I can't get anything to display on my Swiftkey keyboard that allows me to switch keyboards when it comes to actually completing the login for this site. Now I have seen an icon in the Android Notification bar in the past where it gives you the option to switch Input methods but it's not doing that in this scenario.

Any thoughts?

Actually, just for now I'll switch back to the standard Samsung keyboard and see if anything changes. I'll let you know.

• Hyde
    Hyde
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

Okay, managed to get the phone to offer a switch to other keyboards. I think it's possible a bug in Android 6.01, the option to change is available from the pull down Notification bar, it's just not displaying the keyboard icon in the Notification bar.

But, having logged in with your keyboard I had to open the 1Password app and search for the login. Even though the signin url is entered in the app login section for this site.

[edit]https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin?Target=

Then, on exit, I was asked if 'something' should remember my login for next time. Can't recall the exact options but something like 'Never', 'Next time' & 'Remember'. Is that your keyboard asking to do that as there was nothing in the pop-up to say what application was asking. Nor would I expect to get that prompt if 1Password is the app that should be doing that. Now that the entry has been 'Remembered', I'm none to sure where it's being remembered from. Surely you don't want a keyboard remembering stuff?

• Hyde
    Hyde
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

Ooo, and as of Windows 10 Anniversary edition, it now supports Extensions in Edge and there's a tool to export Chrome extensions too!

http://www.howtogeek.com/249921/how-to-install-extensions-in-microsoft-edge/

So hopefully you guys can sort that without too much effort? If it's largely based on Chrome anyway??

[edit] Doesn't Android Chrome support extensions? Just wondering why it has to be a separate keyboard approach?

• Hey @Hyde. I'm glad to hear that you were able to switch over to the 1Password keyboard. With the 1Password keyboard active, you should be able to long press on the space bar to bring up your input options to quickly switch back to SwiftKey if you like. :)

That said, our keyobard doesn't prompt to save information. If you're seeing that, then that's likely your mobile browser's built-in password manager. Are you using Chrome? If so, tap the three dots in the upper right hand corner of the screen with Chrome active, tap Settings, and you'll see a Save passwords section. Tap that to alter those settings.

As far as I'm aware, Chrome on Android still doesn't support extensions. For an explanation of why we went with the keyboard for filling, please have a look at mverde's post here.

As to Edge support, please have a look at MikeT's post here.

Hope that helps!

• Hyde
    Hyde
    Community Member

Hi Peri

Okay, I've opened the settings on the Samsung Internet Browser and deleted all personal data and fill-in stuff. Also disabled it asking to remember this stuff going forward.

So, revisited this website and switched keyboards, but still no offer to auto-populate??? I have to hit the i symbol and fully login to the app with my Master key to get it to populate the sign-in fields.

Fill-in on your keyboard is enabled.

Long Press on your keyboard space bar gives me option to switch back to SwiftKey. But accessing your keyboard is still from the Android Notification pull down, where the button to switch is displayed, even if the icon in the Notification bar to tell you there's an option to switch inputs, isn't displayed.

So how do I get it to auto-populate?

Cheers :)

• @Hyde It sounds like it's working for you as expected. To be clear, 1Password doesn't automatically enter your credentials into any site or app you visit without your first initiating filling, much like on Mac, Windows, and iOS. You can find a step by step description of how it should work here:
    https://support.1password.com/android-keyboard/#use-the-1password-keyboard

As to switching keyboards, you do indeed need to use the softkey (which on Samsung devices is located in the notification drawer), to switch quickly. You can press the space bar to switch away from the 1Password keyboard. As long as the keyboard is active, you should be able to swipe down from the notification drawer to locate input methods.

Is that how it's working for you?

• Hyde
    Hyde
    Community Member

But I have initiated filling??? I've also added my login details for the National Lottery website and that doesn't work either??? The blue button in settings says 'Disable Automatic Filling', from which I deduce that filling is enabled?

• peri
    edited September 2016

To be clear, automatic filling still requires you to initiate filling by tapping on the 1Password icon in the keyboard and selecting the appropriate Login. Is this how it's working for you @Hyde? Were you able to look through the guide I linked? Is that how filling works for you?

• Hyde
    Hyde
    Community Member

Ah, sorry. I missed the subtlety of having to open 1Password as well. Sorry but that approach won't work for me. That's way to many steps to login into something, especially since my master password involves flipping between the characters supported on different screens of your keyboard. Thanks for persevering with me but I need something that's better integrated into my use patterns.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Hyde: Fair enough. Unfortunately on Android that sort of integration is in its infancy, but it's something we're exploring for 1Password. I'm sorry that there isn't an easier way currently, but we're always working to improve it!

This discussion has been closed.