To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Individual Account Lacking

rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member

I have been testing my individual account while maintaining my standalone 1p. My conclusion is that I do not see enough benefit in having the individual account, although this may change if I start having to pay for updates.

In fact, I have less capability with the individual account than with standalone. For instance, I have to keep my standalone 1p just to use the apple watch and the safari extension.

I also do not like what way documents are handled in the accounts version. I prefer the standalone method and would hope eventually the user would have a choice in how they are handled in accounts.

I still have time left on my accounts free trial so maybe you will release an update to resolve these issues before expiration. Otherwise, I will not continue using the accounts once my trial is over.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thanks for the feedback, @rlgleason51

We do hope to make our Apple Watch app account capable ASAP.

I'm not sure I follow about the Safari extension. I use Safari every day with my 1Password.com account (via the extension / mini).

I also do not like what way documents are handled in the accounts version. I prefer the standalone method and would hope eventually the user would have a choice in how they are handled in accounts.

Could you expand on this a little for me please? Documents can do everything attachments can, and more. The only exception is Documents are not cached locally until you preview them.

Please let me know. :)

Ben

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

I may have misspoke about the safari extension so let's pretend I didn't comment on it.

Re: Documents. I always attache all of my attachments to an item record. If I have a password protected document, I'll create an item in the password category and attach the doc to that item. This makes it easier FOR ME to locate the attachment. I also do not have to worry about downloading the attachment if I need to view it. With accounts, I either have to download all documents in case I don't have access to the internet; or, predict which docs I may need on a trip, in case I don't have an internet connection (such as on a plane).

Viewing the document requires multiple steps, if the doc has not been downloaded. Also, at least one of my attachments did not get converted to my account (I just noticed this as I was writing so it is a new issue). In my standalone primary vault, I have a front and back pic of my wifes driver's license, but only the back pic made it to the accounts.

And I won't even go into the naming convention where the name of the doc isn't descriptive enough (I don't have this issue as I am careful in how i name my files).

I, personally, cannot think of a situation where I would want to store a document independent of any item.

Maybe I use attachments/documents in a manner different from anyone else, but I am not a fan of how they are treated in accounts.

• I may have misspoke about the safari extension so let's pretend I didn't comment on it.

Fair enough. :)

Re: Documents. I always attache all of my attachments to an item record. If I have a password protected document, I'll create an item in the password category and attach the doc to that item.

Yes, and that is certainly one of the common uses for attachments, which is still possible with Documents (through the use of item linking which happens automatically if you add the Document via the originating item).

I also do not have to worry about downloading the attachment if I need to view it. With accounts, I either have to download all documents in case I don't have access to the internet; or, predict which docs I may need on a trip, in case I don't have an internet connection (such as on a plane).

That is a concern, and we are investigating how we might be able to best handle that in the future.

Viewing the document requires multiple steps

Only the first time you view it on a device, if it is not the device you created the item on.

Also, at least one of my attachments did not get converted to my account (I just noticed this as I was writing so it is a new issue).

Have you tried adding it now?

And I won't even go into the naming convention where the name of the doc isn't descriptive enough (I don't have this issue as I am careful in how i name my files).

The name of the Document is based on the file name (this is also true of attachments). It is editable. I'm not sure how we could possibly get more descriptive information about the contents of the file unless we were to prompt the user what they'd like to name it each time one was added?

I, personally, cannot think of a situation where I would want to store a document independent of any item.

And perhaps you don't, but there are many people who do, including myself. I have training certificates, membership cards, GPG keys, my CPR card, my FCC license, etc all that are independent Documents. To me it doesn't make sense to be forced to attach these to another item, as they can and do stand on their own.

Ben

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member

Thanks for responding. I understand that file naming is a user responsibility; i was just stating that some users would be lazy in naming a file if it was attached to an item.

I, too, have documents similar to what you describe, I just choose to attach them to an item. given the state of my memory, there are times where I forget if I attach a file to an item. It is easy enough for me to go to the time and check. Going to documents would tell me what I have; not what I don't have. I think of it as a unique form of inventory control.

I re-copied my wife's driver's license to my account and both attachments carried over this time. I just have to check to see if there are any other docs that did not carry over from primary to personal vault.

• I just choose to attach them to an item

Right. But I guess my point is that you can still do that with Documents. :)

I re-copied my wife's driver's license to my account and both attachments carried over this time.

Thanks for the update!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.