creating more accurate fill suggestions ordering - preferred/higher ranking - pick list exclusions

Options

Hi,

I basically am looking for a means to increase the accuracy of the suggested auto-fill list. I'll include 2 examples for this request.

I manage many AWS accounts and when I log into one via its AMI login console, I can discern no reasoning to the order from which the "top pick" login is chosen or the other optional logins are ranked. I presume it has to be based on the URL in the "website" field(s), but I'd like to know more so I can force 1P to better pick the top/correct login choice. In the case of AWS account logins, the URL includes many variables/fields.

Another similar example is google. I have several google accounts and my main account is almost never chosen as the top pick.

In the above examples I cannot simply do a "CMD-\" to auto-fill and move on. I have to click 1P Mini from the menubar and chose from the list a login to use. FWIW and to its credit, 1P does typically always include the full list of choices (and then some! - would be nice to be able to exclude completely unrelated picks).

Thanks!
Mike

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.5.BETA-14 (650014)
Extension Version: 4.5.9
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: dropbox/Teams

Comments

• Jacob
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi @wagnerone! Thanks for asking about this. There are a few things that go into how the Login is chosen as the one at the top of the list. The main one is the contents of the website field. So, if you have a Google account with https://accounts.google.com as the website and you are signing in from that URL, it will be at the top of the list whereas an item with simply https://www.google.com will not. Subdomains take preference here.

Now, one way to make things appear at the top automatically is to change the website value to be the same on all of them, then favorite the one you use most often. That will be at the top whenever you visit the website. :)

If you'd just like to exclude some Logins from the list entirely, there's a display option of "Never" that will only show it in the main app. You can also add it to a different vault and switch to it when you need to use those items.

Let me know if that helps explain things a bit, and please check those website fields in your items to see what they are at the moment.

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Jacob. I can't determine what or why the AWS console links are so difficult to match to a specific 1P entry.

I did reduce the number of 1P entries that get displayed by marking some of them as "Never", but for 1PT that isn't as elegant as it affects everyone sharing the data. What is "Never" for me, might not make sense for someone else.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're absolutely right. That's a bit of a hack that works well for you, but it may cause confusion for your teammates. Can you give us some example URLs you're having trouble with so we can investigate this? Thanks in advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wagnerone: I also wanted to mention a suggestion a teammate raised: you might have better results with 1Password Preferences > Browsers > Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites. It's off by default because it can be a bit confusing, but try that and let me know if it helps in your case. :)

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - How can I send you example URLs privately? These aren't something I'd like to post publicly. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wagnerone: Ah, completely understandable! Just shoot us an email at support+extension@agilebits.com with the details and a link to this discussion for context. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.