To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do I correctly migrate an iOS account?

Options
steve28236
steve28236
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Memberships

First of all... is this the right forum for 1P for Individuals? I'm guessing it is because there is no specific forum and 1P4I is fairly similar to Families (perhaps you could update the forum headings to reflect this).

I have existing 1P data syncing across two OS X devices and two iOS devices through Dropbox.

So I have read the info here https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/ and it seems to be missing a couple of steps.

I followed the instructions for migrating my existing data via the Mac version of 1P and as far as I can tell that all works correctly.

The problem is the iOS instructions seem lacking. The following things are not covered at all and I don't know what they should be set as:-

Settings > Vaults > All Vaults > Vaults included in all vaults (what bits here should be turned on or off?)

Settings > Vaults > Primary > Sync Service > Dropbox (this looks like it's still syncing through Dropbox, when it should be through the AB servers. Why is a Primary vault even listed when I have already deleted it from my Mac?)

Settings > Vaults > Always open to > Personal Vault (this wasn't difficult to figure out on my own but it should be mentioned in the instructions).

Settings > Sync > Primary > Dropbox (this looks wrong, why is my Primary even listed and why does it still say Dropbox?).

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member
    Options

Right, I figured it out myself. Migrating from a standard local vault to a Families style account (in my case Individual) on iOS leaves a whole lot of detritus in the settings. It's pretty messy.

The easiest thing to do is completely delete the app and re-install from scratch. Then logging into your account will download all your data without the hungover crap from the original install.

Recommendations to AB: tidy up this install process when upgrading and in the meantime amend your iOS migration instructions to include an app delete and re-install.

• Hi @steve23094! Sorry for the confusion. I'm glad you got things sorted out though. :) We're working to make the iOS migration experience better soon, and you won't need to go through the settings and adjust things. Rather than completely deleting the app and reinstalling, the same effect can also be achieved by tapping Settings -> Advanced -> Erase All 1Password Data. Only do this once you've confirmed the data has been moved into the account of course. I wanted to mention it here to help folks in the future, and I'm also going to look into adding it to that guide. Thanks for the feedback! Let us know if you have any questions about your new family account.

This discussion has been closed.