To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

From standalone to subscription and back.

Canute
Canute
Community Member

Hello,

I am one of your (presumably) many users who cannot live without 1Password (on all devices). I have been a satisfied customer and user for several years and will undoubtedly continue to for many years to come.
My question: I see the advantages in your new subscription model, however; if I decide to subscribe now and in a year or five or more want to return to standalone versions (on all devices) would I be able to? If so, how would that work? If not, what would happen?

Thank you on beforehand.

BR. Henrik.

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi Henrik ( @Canute ),

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Yes -- you can go back. Depending on what devices you have in a year (or five ;) ) you may need to upgrade your 1Password license(s) such that you can use the latest version in order to be compatible with the latest devices. But if the devices you have will run the version you are currently licensed for then all you'd need to do is migrate your data back from 1Password.com vaults to standalone vaults. The process works much the same as migrating from standalone to 1Password.com.

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Thanks!

Ben

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Depending on how much an upgrade to all your standalone licenses would cost, I would say that it could be cheaper to pay for the subscription (and get the right to use the latest version of every app on every platform with all features) but still use Dropbox, iCloud or whatever sync method you prefer and not use the 1Password account actively.
    If I understood this right, all features get unlocked when you sign-in to a 1Password account from your devices.
    So if you want to save on license costs and want to have the flexibiliy in sync options, I would sing-up for a 1Password account.
    YMMV

• @Manaburner,

While that is how things currently work, that would not be how we would recommend using the subscription. I can't say for sure that it will continue to work that way.

Ben

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@Ben

We will see what the future might bring. I know that is kind of a loophole in the licensing model.

• Indeed. :+1:

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member

Although using your 1P account in this way means you wouldn't have a web login.

• Correct. You also wouldn't have the (optional) sharing and seamless availability of your data on all devices that you get by using 1Password.com vaults.

Ben

• dmds
    dmds
    Community Member

Am I hearing this correctly.. at some point, you may remove the ability to have a local vault with the subscription license??

Please, no.

• @dmds,

There are no plans for any sort of changes like that. I simply wanted to point out that the suggestion was one outside the intended use, and with all unintended uses may not function as expected down the road.

Ben

• dmds
    dmds
    Community Member

Thanks Ben, I understand now how you meant it.. just "in general" .. And I'm glad there are no plans.

It may not be considered an intended use for everyone on the developer/sales side..but in purchasing it, it definitely was one of my intended uses. And this was supported by one of the sales points on the subscription page which still says:

"Your subscription includes the latest, full versions of the 1Password apps for Mac, iOS, and Android at no extra charge.. "

As its own bullet point, that's not really a "loophole" - it sounds quite intended and probably because it justifies the price to a greater extent.

If there were a plan down the road to split the app features according to license type, either to encourage more cloud use (why?) or to encourage people to buy both versions ($$) . well I would be very disappointed.

After waiting a long time for local vault support on Windows 6 Beta, I actually went to some extreme lengths to get and run the Mac version on a spare computer. 1password is its sole function at the moment, and only for periodically exporting and backing up to a local vault. I did all that because I wanted to prove to myself that a full round trip back out to windows v4 (where I have a license) would be possible before moving my family into our subscription account which has been empty since ~April(?)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If at all possible, we really, really don't want to "split" anything any further. 1Password Accounts are a great option, especially for new users or folks with a lot of devices to manage. But more options does add more confusion. And similarly trying to maintain separate "subscription" and "license" versions of the apps would be a huge headache for both users and us. We much prefer to produce a single product and offer different purchase options and let folks decide what's the best fit for their own use. But as for features, there are some things that simply cannot be done with a standalone/local/license setup. That is, after all, why so many people requested a service like this, and why we put the effort into making it a reality. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.