Will there be a debit card category soon?

musicluke1
musicluke1
Community Member

In Germany a debit card is very different to a credit card. However i really would like to have the possibilty to savely store my debit card information in 1P. And i think this counts for a lot of other users too, since in germany we usualy pay with debit card

For German (and as far as i know also austrian and swiss ) we would need the following arrays:

The Accountno. of the Bankaccount the Card is reffering to: Usualy 10 digits
The Card No.: Usualy 10 digits
The Bank
the date of expiry
the Pin

(sorry for the bad english grammar and spell)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @musicluke1,

In Germany a debit card is very different to a credit card.

I understand that conceptually and culturally they are quite different. Do they actually have different fields? The credit card category has all of the fields you described, so it seems all a 'debit card' category would add is perhaps a more aptly named category without any different fields. From a technical perspective (actual usage of the product) it seems they can be used interchangeably.

Unfortunately the short answer is that it is unlikely we'll see changes to the categories in the near future. The longer answer is that 1Password has grown quite a bit from our original roots. A few years ago it was simple to add a new category, or change one. All we had to do was make the change in 1Password for Mac and make a single update to a web page in our help guides. Now it would require a coordinated effort across 5+ products / development teams, plus documentation for each, ... You get the idea. In any event that certainly doesn't mean that we'll never change any categories, but it does mean that we are much more careful about any changes that we make, and that we will likely save up a number of changes so they can all be done at once rather than going through the process more times than necessary.

Thanks!

Ben

• galexa
    galexa
    Community Member

A category (Card Type) of VISA Debit would help me. Or simply make the type field editable.

I have a VISA Debit card set to VISA and this causes problems on some sites which have multiple card type options and change the fields dependent on that. For example, I was prompted to comment because the 'valid from' field disappeared and the transaction was declined.

I actually managed to export the .pif record, edit in VISA Debit and import it back which seems to have fixed things - the icon has changed - but if I try to edit the record is reverts back to VISA.

• Thanks for the vote for this, @galexa!

• jmb679
    jmb679
    Community Member

Rather than adding another category, how about adding a field to the Credit Card category that has a pick list of debit, credit and "other"?

• Also a possible solution, @jmb679. Thanks for writing in with that!

Ben

• garyjprovis
    garyjprovis
    Community Member

Just to add some additional support. in the UK quite often you can pay with a debit card and not get charged and additional card fee. If you autofill it changes to VISA and you can get charged around 3% of the transaction. So additional Visa Debit/Mastercard Debit under the type of Credit Card category would be a real benefit.

Gary

• Gotcha. Thanks, Gary!

Ben

• mark_tatton
    mark_tatton
    Community Member

I'm waiting on this feature before I move from a competitor. I need to be able to distinguish between my visa (credit) and my visa debit card. I agree that adding a field to the Type field would solve the issue, or maybe adding the possibility to create your own type.

• Thanks for the vote, @mark_tatton. We don't have any definite plans to announce at this point but continue to collect feedback on the situation.

Ben

• Happymak
    Happymak
    Community Member

Hi Ben!

Another idea would be to change the "Credit Cards" Category to just "Cards" so people could add not only credit cards, but also debit and gift cards. I don't know any other category of cards haha but it seems it would be quite helpful.

For me your app is not just about security. It is also about making everything easier.

I'll know you'll keep on growing!!

Best Regards,

Simon

• Thanks for the suggestion, Simon! :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.