Forms not completing correctly since update to 6.1

Options

I'm really starting to get a bit sick and tired of 1Password updates that keep breaking everything.

I was prompted for an update last night and ever since non of my websites forms complete correctly. I have information being filled into the wrong form fields, I have username fields that don't get populated.

It takes ages to try and fix these issue. Maybe it's time to find an alternative??

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.4.90
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:fix-website-login, kb:report-website, kb-search:No websites work since updating yesterday afternoon

Comments

• ecoleman
    ecoleman
    Community Member
    Options

Jut to add that updating the site does not make any difference. In fact most of the time I am not given the option of updating the login because the info within the sites password file is already correct. I have to force an update. Still no change though.

I have a couple of sites where if I click the URL from the 1Password app (not the extension) I get taken to a totally different URL although I am taken to the correct URL via the extension.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @ecoleman,

The option of updating a Login item currently only touches very specific fields, the visible username and password fields in a Login item to be precise. What we don't touch is the section titled web form details. Now the web form details section is important as we use it not only as a source of data that you as the user want to fill into the page but also as a fingerprint. We compare this fingerprint to the web page you want to fill and if they differ it does affect how we try and fill.

It may not feel like it but we are constantly working on trying to improve 1Password's ability to fill tricky sites. I know we've made some improvements in the latest version of the extension (version 4.5.4) to find more fields in a bid to be more reliable. In the testing we've done I didn't come across a Login that broke as a result but if a site had fields we weren't previously seeing but now look for then it would cause the fingerprints to change.

Unfortunately, if our ability to find more fields means 1Password is better at filling certain sites there isn't an easy way, that I can think of, to reconcile this with how 1Password currently works.

All of this is conjecture at this point as I don't know the site in question and if you were happy to pass the URL onto us we could take a look and see if this theory is correct. If it is I would expect that creating a brand new Login item would resolve it as a brand new Login item would contain an updated web form details section and so the fingerprints would once again match. We have a page on how to manually save a new Login item but I suspect you already know this given you saying you had to force an update. Just in case though the page is How to manually save a Login.

Our aim is never to cause disruption to existing data and users when we make improvements, it's just that some changes can sadly have an impact even though long term it will hopefully mean improved filling over a greater range of sites. It's a cat and mouse game as we adjust our behaviour based on what we see web developers doing on their sites.

As for the last issue you raised, could I ask what the URLs in question are (if you have no objection) as I would be very curious to see what is happening. In both instances whether you click on a website field in the Login item or click on a Login item from inside 1Password mini you should be taken to the same page as in both cases we pass the stored URL to the browser and wait for it to report that the page is loaded. If you're finding differently and it's reproducible we would certainly be interested in looking into why.

• ecoleman
    ecoleman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables

Okay, I spend 3 hours yesterday morning making all my logins work again. I can assure you that all of the websites didn't suddenly change their login forms. I have a few sites that I use daily for business and more often than not I have to login a number of times throughout the day. These sites have been working fine until I did the recent update. Suddenly a large number of them stopped filling in the forms correctly. Sometimes info was put in the wrong fields and sometimes the fields where just left blank.

These forms are not complex forms and have not changed. I do know how to manually add fields to the web form details section and on checking these they were all correct. All the field names matched those used on the web page. Even removing the fields and adding them manually would not make it work.

The only way I was able to fix things was to delete the site and all password / user data from your app and add them again by logging into the page again where I was prompted to save the login.

As you have asked for some URL, here are a few of the ones I use daily.

https://portal.sagepay.com/mysagepay/login.msp - (The Vendor name stopped being filled)

https://www.psaparts.co.uk//e/Account - (My email was being put in the New Customers Contact name field, password was being put in the Create a password field)

https://www.royalmail.com/discounts-payment/credit-account/online-business-account - I can no longer open this from the app or extension. It sends me to http://www.royalmail.com and then pops up a 1password warning about the page not being secure.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ecoleman Can you check your Trash in 1Password and see if you still have these items? If so, could you check the Web Form Details of the item and compare it to the Web Form Details of the new item you saved? I saw a very strange case a while back where all the fields in the Web Form Details section in a user's item were losing their labels and when this happened, 1Password wasn't able to properly match up all the fields when filling the site. I want to see if you're maybe having the same problem and see if we can find some commonality.

• Absolute
    Absolute
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same problem with Sagepay, even changing the Webform to inp_vspvendorname from vspvendorname wouldn't work. Created a new login and it works even though both old and new Webform entries look identical. Not a huge problem but would be intrigued to know how I could modify the old login to work.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It could be a subtle change that affected things. For instance, if there were a new checkbox or hidden form field added to the form, that could affect 1Password's understanding of the page. This is something we want to work on improving in the future.

This discussion has been closed.