Unable to view YouTube videos in built in browsers

cmiller332
cmiller332
Community Member

Since upgrading to iOS 10 and your latest 1Password update I'm unable to view videos in your built-in browsers. I see a static image from the video and the audio plays. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 6.4.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.0.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:YouTube playback

Comments

• Hi @cmiller332,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

I haven't been able to reproduce this issue. Using iOS 10 w/ 1Password 6.4.5 on an iPhone 6 the videos from YouTube play just fine in 1Browser for me. Could you please let me know which device you are using? Perhaps that is a factor...

That said, for me, using the YouTube app provides a much better experience than any in-browser offering. You may want to consider using the official YouTube app.

Ben

• cmiller332
    cmiller332
    Community Member

Thanks for your feedback. Yes my iPhone works ok too.

My issue is on my iPad Pro (9.7'). It used to work just fine. It's just a matter of convenience using the in-built browser.

I've deleted the 1Password app, restarted and reinstalled the app but that didn't fix anything.

• Thanks @cmiller332. I've asked my iPad Pro owning colleagues to test this and see if they are able to reproduce it on that hardware. It would seem strange to me that something like this would work on iPhones but not iPad Pros, but I suppose there could be something there.

We'll be back in touch once we've been able to do some further testing. Thanks!

Ben

ref: BC 3091630/buckets/725798/todos/241985018

• @cmiller332,

We were unable to reproduce this issue on an iPad Pro either.

Are you able to play YouTube videos in the Chrome browser app? If you could please test that it may provide us with some necessary insight.

We use Apple's WKWebView API for 1Browser, which is the same API used by Chrome. It would be very interesting to know if it works in one place and not the other.

Thanks!

Ben

P.S. If you do not already have Chrome installed you can download it here: https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/mobile/index.html

• cmiller332
    cmiller332
    Community Member

I think my iPad maybe at fault. As I can't view this thread on it using Safari. It just displays my original question. Even though I've logged in. However the threads contents display ok when I use the chrome extension.

In answer to your question. YouTube runs fine on Chrome too. Still just a static picture with the audio playing via your app.

Thanks for your efforts

• MikeT
    edited September 2016

Hi @cmiller332,

Are you using a content blocker by any chance? If yes, try disabling it first and see if everything looks okay now.

The reason I ask about content blocker is that if that blocker has support for disabling comments, it would disable all comments on our forum as well, except for the original post on top.

• cmiller332
    cmiller332
    Community Member

Thanks, just figured that out. Yep content blocker is now disabled and Safari is working ok.

Unfortunately still can't view videos directly within your app. Not the end of the world by any means, but it's just bugging me.

• Hi @cmiller332,

That's great to hear. You can look at the blocker's setting to whitelist our domain and/or disable comments and turn it back on, it should then work. I know 1Blocker did this to me as well and whitelisting works.

As for the videos, it appears to be a bug in iOS 10 that may be addressed in the upcoming 10.1 update. I'm using iOS 10.1 Beta on my iPad Pro 12.9" and it works fine. Chad, one of our devs, confirmed it is very jerky on his 9.7" iPad Pro. So, there's something strange going on with iOS 10 and Safari's rendering engine.

One thing is that we're not managing how media assets work in 1Browser, this is all handled by iOS for us. We'll keep an eye on this and get it fixed if we need to.

• cmiller332
    cmiller332
    Community Member

Thank you for this information. I hope they release 10.1 sooner rather than later :)

• Agreed. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.