Getting error: "c:\...\Dropbox\Apps\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain" is not a 1Password Vault

Options

After reading about the dropbox security breach, I permanently deleted my 1Password.agilekeychain file from dropbox, thinking it was just for synchronization. But now when I try to login to the 1Password app on my HP Envy laptop, I get an error message stating "c:...\Dropbox\Apps\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain" is not a 1Password Vault. I can't find any backups on my laptop newer than 3/24/16 (not sure why the backups stopped at that date).

Note: I can still access a current read-only version of my 1Password on my android phone (have turned off wifi and data for fear of sync deleting the passwords). I would love to create a backup from my phone, but I don't think I can do a backup from it, since it is the read-only version.

Is there a way to export the data from my phone and recover it on the laptop?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Getting error: "c:...\Dropbox\Apps\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain" is not a 1Password Vault

Comments

• Hi @srjones5,

We're sorry to hear about the troubles you're having. We'd like to help you get to your data back but we need some information to do so.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you.

Thanks very much!

• srjones5
    srjones5
    Community Member
    Options

Here's the Support ID Number. Thanks so much, Alex! ZBU-99818-782

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: ZBU-99818-782

And just to be clear, for the good of you or anyone else who might consider deleting their own data, your 1Password vault is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. So even if someone were to access your Dropbox account, they'd still need your Master Password to decrypt your 1Password vault.

• srjones5
    srjones5
    Community Member
    Options

Send an email this morning, but not sure it was received so re-posting here.....Hi Brent,

Unfortunately, I permanently deleted the files. They are no longer in the Deleted Files folder. But there,evidently, is some version of the files on my phone, since I'm able to still view them on my phone. But I only have the read-only version on my phone. Any way to back-up or export the files from my android phone?

Thanks,
    Sherry

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, Sherry! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. I've asked one of my colleagues for a second opinion on this since, as this seems to be the only copy of your data at this point, we need to carefully consider all options before doing anything hasty. We'll get back to you shortly. Thanks for your patience!

• srjones5
    srjones5
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Great. Thank you! I have about 425 passwords in it so manually writing them down would be rather tedious. At this point, I'm just thankful to even have that option!

• Hey @srjones5. I've just replied to your email. Please have a look and reply to me over email so we can keep the conversation to one channel. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.