1P consistently refuses to fill New York Times login

Options

When I visit the NYT website and try to sign in as a subscriber, I receive the warning that it is an unsecured website. When I click OK, (I don't think Cancel is a viable option), 1P refuses to fill the login and password, every time. I have even turned off AdBlocker, with the same result. Any ideas? Absolutely wonderful product. I proselytize for 1P all the time.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:will not fill insecure site

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pdm32,

Sorry to hear you're running into some difficulty on the New York Times website! We'll do out best to figure out what's going on here.

When I visit the NYT website and try to sign in as a subscriber, I receive the warning that it is an unsecured website.

Just to make sure I understand, does that warning appear before or after you invoke the 1Password extension? Also, after opening that site, what are the exact steps you take to try to have 1Password fill your login credentials there?

What is the exact warning message that pops up? It would be helpful for us if you could take a screenshot of that the next time it happens. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks in advance! :)

• pdm32
    pdm32
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to send you a screenshot, but it is an Adobe pdf that your site tells me is not allowed.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pdm32,

Is the warning you are seeing this warning?

If so, please try following the steps in this article which should resolve things:

If you see "unsecured HTTP page" when trying to fill a password

If you're still having trouble, can you let me know the exact URL you have saved in your Login item for The New York Times? Also, please let me know the exact URL of the page you are visiting when you see the warning.

Thanks in advance!

• shopthor
    shopthor
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this problem too. The solution @khad proposes didn't work for me. Here's what happened before:

1. I get the login box. I select my 1password login.
    2. I get the warning box. I say OK.
    3. I return to the main NY Times Screen, but I am not logged in.

I took @khad's suggestion above, but it only eliminated the dialog box. So, now:

1. I get the login box. I select my 1password login.
    2. I return to the main NY Times Screen, but I am not logged in.

That's quicker, but obviously not better. It looks like lots of other people are having similar problems, which makes sense because a lot of people read the New York Times. Can we get a consistently working fix? I am a new convert to 1Password and I really love it, but this issue is causing problems for me. Thanks so much!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shopthor,

Try this:

1. Go to https://myaccount.nytimes.com/auth/login
    2. Enter your username and password. Do not press Enter or click Sign In.
    3. Click the 1Password button in your browser. Enter your Master Password if prompted.

4. Click the gear icon and select "Save new Login" from the menu.

5. Give your Login item a unique name. When you’re finished, click Save Login.

Let me know how it goes with that new Login item. :)

• shopthor
    shopthor
    Community Member
    Options

@khad — thanks. Alas, I have bad news: it worked the one time from that screen, but immediately failed in precisely the way I already described when I logged out and tried to log back in from the main page.

It seems like this login (like my old login) will work if I somehow find the page https://myaccount.nytimes.com/auth/login — but that doesn't do me much good, as that's not where you go when you're on a random nytimes.com page and push the login button. I would hope that pressing "OK" on the warning box would work — but it doesn't seem to do so. Is there any way to fix that?

Thanks again.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shopthor,

The warning is protecting you from submitting your credentials over an insecure connection. Anyone could intercept them if you ignore that warning. We DO NOT recommend ignoring that warning or even attempting to sign in to NYTimes.com (or any website) over an insecure connection. As far as I can tell in my own usage of my own NYTimes.com account, they only have a single sign-in page that is secure:

https://myaccount.nytimes.com/auth/login

To always log in on the correct (and secure) page, use the "open and fill" feature.

1. Either open a new tab or open 1Password while viewing a site other than NYTimes.com.
    2. Press Option-Command-Backslash (\), click to open 1Password mini, or click the 1Password button in your browser. Any one of those three will open 1Password mini.
    3. Type to find "nytimes" then press Return.

1Password will open the secure page and fill your credentials for you.

I should have mentioned before that I reported this to the devs for further investigation, but, again, we emphatically do not recommend signing in on insecure pages, which is the only place it sounds like you are having any trouble. Let me know if I've misunderstood, though!

• shopthor
    shopthor
    Community Member
    Options

@khad (do I have to mention you each time to get a reply? I'm not sure) — thanks. I'm a little confused. The whole point of this warning box is for you guys to express your recommendation that I not use an unsecured sign-on. But my ability to press the "OK" button is my way of saying that I decline this recommendation — which I'm doing, BTW, because my password for nytimes.com is randomized using your cool generator, so I don't really care is if someone sniffs it, because it doesn't get them anything except the ability to play my crossword puzzle for me, in which case I'll notice and reset the password.

But the problem is that pressing the OK button doesn't work — it doesn't get me what I want, which is to log in. That's the problem I'm reporting. Your proposed solution is really a workaround, which is to login through a different page. But that page is hard to find, and I would strongly prefer to autofill the insecure form, having clicked OK to accept the consequences of my actions, which for the reasons I've already stated I don't hesitate in this case to do in the slightest.

Do we agree that this is not working as intended? I think we do but I am not certain from your response. If it is not working as intended, I would hope that you guys would make modifications as necessary to work with a site that is, at least for my small country, one of the top 25 most popular.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

@shopthor,

Sorry for any confusion. 1Password should be able to fill in the other forms, despite them being insecure.

The problem with the sign in forms that are NOT the one at https://myaccount.nytimes.com/auth/login is exactly what I've reported to the devs. :+1:

ref: OPX-934

• shopthor
    shopthor
    Community Member
    Options

@khad — thanks for the clarification. As I mentioned before, it looks like a lot of people are having this problem, as you can see if you search "new york times" or "nytimes" on the forum. I'l go back to Google Smart Lock for now, at least for this site, but I really want to turn Google Smart Lock off completely, so I hope there's a fix soon. Thanks again for your time and help; I really appreciate it.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's my pleasure to help. I can't give a time frame, but it's definitely on our list. :)

• shopthor
    shopthor
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this? Thanks.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry, @shopthor, but we haven't had a chance to look into this yet. I'm going to ask one of our team to wade into the problem and see if we can identify what is happening. Thanks for reminding us how important it is to you and many others.

This discussion has been closed.