How can I use 1Password generated passwords with LifeLock or should I?

bobfennema
bobfennema
Community Member

I use Lifelock to help protect my identity. LifeLock uses my passwords to check with my bank, etc., to check activity on my financial accounts. If I use 1Password generated passwords, is it even possible to continue using Lifelock? Or should I not even be sharing generated passwords with LifeLock? Any suggestions for working with LifeLock and using 1Password, especially with generated passwords would be helpful. I will try to ask the same question to LifeLock. Thank you.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bobfennema: Admittedly, I may not fully understand the implications of what you're asking, so please take this with a grain of salt (mmm, salt; I love it with my hashes!) and then if you'll be kind enough to elaborate I may be able to provide a better answer.

I can't actually imagine a scenario in which using a unique, randomly generated password would be a bad thing, so especially for a service that we're depending on for security that seems like the clear choice.

But there is one scenario in which the type of randomly generated password may make a difference: if you're having to provide this information over the phone or memorize it, it may be best to use the Wordlist password generator instead. That can make a huge difference, and so long as you're using sufficient length, it won't be susceptible to brute force attacks — which may not matter if this isn't a password that ever needs to be entered digitally. I hope this helps! :)

• bobfennema
    bobfennema
    Community Member

Thanks for the help. This would be a password I would need to share with LifeLock so they can see activity on my accounts and therefore monitor them for suspicious activity. No matter how strong the password, once it is shared, even to a security company, I wonder how secure that is?

If you have any additional thoughts, I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

• No matter how strong the password, once it is shared, even to a security company, I wonder how secure that is?

I think that is a very fair point. Something I personally would not be comfortable with, as I doubt with this kind of setup the passwords are encrypted at all times (in fact, I don't think it is possible that they are).

Ben

This discussion has been closed.