To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Master Password URGENT Issue

I migrated all my data to 1Password.com using the 1Password app on my Mac. I then used the Mac to delete the old primary vault since I would be using the Personal Vault on 1Password.com.

I then spent a huge amount of time trying to figure out how to get the Primary Vault off the iPhone.

I finally found the counterintuitive procedure in the Knowledgebase. It is a TOTALLY different procedure on the Mac and involves ERASING ALL data from the iOS version.

So it launches as a fresh copy of the App and it wants a vault. The new Personal Vault on 1Password.com

I cannot enter my Master Password into the Emergency Kit PERIOD.

I migrated all my vaults to 1Password.com and then deleted the old vaults that were synced via Dropbox. No problem on my MacBook.
A huge problem on my iPhone 5s. Trying to enter the Master Password into the form that appears after the QR Code Scan INSTANTLY CRASHES the 1Password app on the iPhone. (CRASH REPORTS SENT)

I deleted the 1Password app from the iPhone and reinstalled a fresh copy. IT STILL CRASHES. EVERYTIME.

You have a MAJOR BUG related to MASTER PASSWORD that shows up in both the Emergency Kit and the iPhone App.

This issue is URGENT. I cannot use the iPhone app until you resolve this bug because my old primary vault has been migrated to 1Password.com

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: iOS 9.3.3
Sync Type: 1Password.Com

Comments

• Hi @FogCityNative! I'm sorry for the trouble getting started with your account. I'd be happy to help out.

I finally found the counterintuitive procedure in the Knowledgebase.

To double check, did you follow the steps in "Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account"? That article has worked well most of the time, so I'm curious to know what could have been more intuitive? We're open to feedback and would love to improve it so it helps more people. :)

It is a TOTALLY different procedure on the Mac and involves ERASING ALL data from the iOS version.

At the moment that is correct. We recommend this because having your Primary vault around after the migration is a bit confusing and unnecessary. We also recommend checking to ensure your data is in the account.

I cannot enter my Master Password into the Emergency Kit PERIOD.

I'm sorry for the confusion about the Master Password. The Emergency Kit is actually meant to be printed, then we ask that you write your Master Password in the space provided so you have it somewhere safe. :) You're welcome to use a PDF editor to type your Master Password in there as well if that's easier for you to read. Just make sure not to email it to anyone or upload it somewhere. I'd recommend putting it on a flash drive if you prefer not to print it.

A huge problem on my iPhone 5s. Trying to enter the Master Password into the form that appears after the QR Code Scan INSTANTLY CRASHES the 1Password app on the iPhone. (CRASH REPORTS SENT)

I'm very sorry to hear that. We haven't seen this issue before, and I'd love to investigate it and see what could be happening. To get a better idea of what the issue is, could you please create a Diagnostics Report from your iPhone?

Send a diagnostics report from your iPhone

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member

Jacob, in reading your reply, I was wondering if you were one of the new hires there?

I am sorry you didn't read my e-mail fully or didn't understand it. First of all, I am not "getting started" with your software. I have been a registered user since Agile Bits was a 1 man operation. So I found you entire tone somewhat condescending. Like you never bothered to look up my history with you.

YES! I read the entire section of the knowledge base to which you refer and as I said, I have migrated to a personal account on 1Password.com and have removed my Primary Vault from my Mac.

All problems are on the iPhone version. The method used on the iPhone to delete the unneeded Primary Vault is totally different from the way you are programmed to do it on the Mac, right down to the terminology used. And finding the information for how to do it was not at all easy nor was it included on the migration page to which you refer. It certainly was not easy.

As I recall, I had this crashing problem once before because you consider a jailbroken iPhone to be an absolute no-no and offer no support for jailbroken iPhones.

The good news is that the current jailbreak is semi-tethered and must be re-jailbroken after any full reboot. So I will try to install the app in an un-jailbroken state and then re-jailbreak. I have had no problem using the 1Password app on jailbroken iPhones. It is just when trying to add the new 1Password.com personal vault (after deleting ALL vault data from the iPhone) that I am experiencing crashing.

And if you knew your software, you would know there is no way to send a diagnostic report when I can't even get past the very first page where I enter all my credentials including my Software Key and Master Password.

As to the Emergency Kit, again your choice of language for the instructions leaves a lot to be desired. For example, "Fill in your Master Password below." Now I know there is a little pencil graphic but what not use the word HAND WRITE as opposed to Fill In. After all, in the previous instruction printing out the form was optional. I could also store it in the cloud or a thumb drive. Storing it electronically doesn't really allow me to HAND WRITE my Master Password now, does it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016

@FogCityNative: First of all, I'm really sorry that you didn't find Jacob's reply helpful. To be clear, Jacob's reference to "getting started with your account" is because you're trying to setup your new 1Password Account. After all, you're trying to setup 1Password for iOS to use it after migrating your data from your previous local/Dropbox (non-account) vault(s). We don't actually have a lot of customer information, and what we do have we prefer to reference only as needed, so I can understand why he didn't research your entire history before responding to the crashes you'd reported. I appreciate that you don't know Jacob at all, and especially in text on an internet discussion forum it can certainly be difficult to gauge tone. I know him well enough to know he meant no offense though, and I'm really sorry that you took it that way.

However, while I appreciate your frustration, insults won't help things. We need to keep the forums as friendly as possible for the wide range of people that visit. Be sure to keep that in mind in the future. We're happy to have you here, so long as you can adhere to the guidelines:

Forum guidelines

And after all, we're here to help, and there are things you can do to facilitate this:

Help us help you

And frankly, that serves as a bit of a distraction from the very real troubles you're facing, so I'd appreciate it if we can move past it and focus on getting this resolved for you.

I'm also sorry about the Emergency Kit confusion! We'll try to make that clearer. We strongly recommend printing, filling it out, and keeping it in a safe (literally) place, but some folks prefer to save the file instead. I do this with most of mine, and I've found that apps like PDFPen and the text-entry and (relatively recent) "Sign" features in Preview are really useful in this regard.

I especially appreciate the additional information you provided in your reply. If your iPhone is jailbroken, that explains why this crashing issue isn't something we've encountered before. Jailbreaking in particular is tricky because this is literally breaking iOS security, and by extension it breaks things from a developer standpoint as well, since we rely on the OS functioning in expected ways with Apple's public APIs. That's why it isn't supported, strictly speaking. If jailbreaking didn't introduce these problems, it wouldn't make any difference to us. But of course, not breaking the OS on a fundamental level would probably make it a lot less fun to play with too. So here we are! ;)

Now, while 1Password isn't designed for or supported on jailbroken devices, we'll certainly do the best we can to help you with this. Just keep in mind that it may not be possible for 1Password (or other apps) to work as intended when the OS itself has been compromised — and with security software this is an even greater concern. But if you can send us diagnostic information as Jacob suggested, that may give us some insight into what's happening. At the very least, this is possible by skipping the sign in.

From your description, it doesn't sound like 1Password is crashing on launch, so there are a few other things we can try. That's good news, because if it was, you'd be right that there's no way to even get to the point where you'd be able to send us anything. A diagnostic report from 1Password is able to give us a lot more information about what's happening in 1Password itself than Apple's more generic crash data provides.

So I think your suggestion about reinstalling and setting up the app after reboot is a good one. That's what I'd suggest anyway, but the additional detail of being able to do this with your device in a non-jailbroken state after reboot makes it much more promising. Please try the following:

1. Delete 1Password for iOS
    2. Restart your iPhone
    3. Don't jailbreak
    4. Reinstall a fresh copy of 1Password form the App Store
    5. Sign in to your 1Password Account

Now, you may be thinking, "But if it still crashes, how am I supposed to send diagnostics?" The good news is there's a workaround! If after trying it that way it's still crashing, try signing in manually, without scanning the QR code (in case the image processing is triggering the crash). And if it's still crashing, simply setup the app without an account and create a new vault so you can send the diagnostics. Ultimately if we can find any way to get your account added to the app, that will at least make it usable for you while we investigate the crashes further. I'm sorry that it isn't currently possible to manually delete individual vaults in 1Password for iOS the way it you can in 1Password for Mac, but we're working to bring this new feature to the other apps as well. One way or another, we'll get this sorted out for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.