Master password reset in iOS - change not reflected on Mac App or Chrome extension

bsingbeil
bsingbeil
Community Member

I changed my master pw yesterday and promptly forgot what I'd changed it to. I have a numeric passcode setup in iOS so I logged in and changed my password within the iOS app. I can now log into my team account online using the new pw but it has not taken effect for the mac app or chrome extension.

I think I need to "Start over" on my mac but am not sure - don't want to mistakenly delete everything. Can you provide some assistance to figure out how to get the Mac App and chrome extension synced so that I can log in w. the new pw?

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.6.1.90
OS Version: 10.10.5 (14F1912)
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:change master password

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bsingbeil,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with this! Sorry to hear you've had some trouble with your master password.

If I understand, it sounds like you've changed your master password twice, and this sentence refers to the first change:

I changed my master pw yesterday and promptly forgot what I'd changed it to.

Where did you make this change? Was that in the 1Password app on your Mac, the 1Password app on your iOS device, or your account on 1Password.com?

I have a numeric passcode setup in iOS so I logged in and changed my password within the iOS app.

To change to a new master password, you need to enter the old master password first. So, when you changed your master password in the iOS app, did it accept your old master password before allowing you to choose the new one?

I can now log into my team account online using the new pw but it has not taken effect for the mac app or chrome extension.

You mentioned that you use iCloud to sync your 1Password data, but your Teams account uses our own servers to sync. If the iCloud option is enabled in the sync settings in the 1Password app, that means you have a local/Primary vault on that device (or possibly both devices). A local vault isn't part of your Teams account, and it has its own master password which might be different from your Teams account master password.

If you have a Primary vault in the 1Password app, it will ask you for the Primary vault's master password to unlock the app. I think that might be what's causing the confusion - it sounds like you changed the master password for your Teams account, but 1Password for Mac is asking for your Primary vault's master password.

So at this point, there might be 3 different master passwords: the old/original one, the new one that you forgot, and the other new one that works to unlock your Teams account on 1Password.com. Do you still remember your old/original master password? If so, try unlocking the Mac app with it. Does that work?

I think I need to "Start over" on my mac but am not sure - don't want to mistakenly delete everything.

Resetting the 1Password app on your Mac will remove any local vaults (like the Primary vault, if you have one), but you won't lose any data in your Teams account (i.e. the data you see when you sign into 1Password.com will be fine). You should first try unlocking 1Password for Mac with any master password that you still remember. If you can't unlock it and need to reset the app, just go to Help > Troubleshooting > Start Over in the menubar. After that, you'll be able to set it up by signing into your Teams account.

Please let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.