Can't install 1Password on 2nd computer; an iMac running El Capitan.

Options
LCharous
LCharous
Community Member

Installed 1Password4 on a MacBookPro running OS X 10.9.5 and successfully synched both iPhones, but not an iPad. Now trying to install and synch an iMac running El Capitan 10.11.6. Successfully loaded 1Password6 and Browser extension for Mac on the iMac. Then was asked where my data was. Responded that it was on "another device." Transferred to the Welcome to 1Password for Mac page but confused and unable to proceed further. Appreciate your help in completing the installation and the Syncing of the two computers.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Second device
Referrer: forum-search:Can't install 1Password on 2nd computer; an iMac running El Capitan.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LCharous,

I'm sorry you're having trouble setting up 1Password on another Mac! Thanks for letting us know that the Another device > More Information option during the setup doesn't go to the correct page on our website - I've reported that to our documentation team.

That should have taken you to a page which explained different options for syncing or migrating your existing 1Password data to a new Mac. How do you sync your older MacBook Pro with your iPhones? If you're using 1Password 4 on the MacBook Pro and (I'm assuming) 1Password 6 on the iPhones, you must be using either Dropbox or the Wi-Fi / WLAN Server sync option.

If you're using Dropbox in 1Password 4 on your MacBook Pro, that makes it easy to set it up on your new iMac - when you launch 1Password 6 on the iMac, it should find your sync file(s) in Dropbox (make sure you already have Dropbox installed) and give you the option to sync your data from there.

On the other hand, if you're using Wi-Fi / WLAN Server to sync your MacBook Pro with your iPhones, unfortunately that won't work to sync with your iMac because that sync option is meant to work between a single Mac and one or more iOS devices. It will not work directly between multiple Macs.

Do you want to keep your 1Password data in sync between both Macs? If so, your best option will be to use Dropbox. You can set that up in 1Password 4 on your MacBook Pro by following the steps here: How to sync 1Password with Dropbox (That article has steps for 1Password 6, but they should be very similar to 1Password 4.) Once Dropbox is syncing your 1Password data, and you've installed Dropbox on your iMac, 1Password 6 should give you the option to sync that data when you go through the setup.

Does that help? If you have questions about that, please let us know. We're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.