iPhone and Mac not syncing anymore via dropbox

Options
onelike147
onelike147
Community Member
edited September 2016 in iOS

since a couple of weeks (I think from some recent release of 1P) my 1P database on the iPhone and the one on my Mac are not syncing anymore.
I use the Dropbox syncing without any problems since always.
However I noticed that recently 1P for Mac has created a new file in Dropbox which is called 1Password.opvault and I never heard of it.
but in Dropbox I can still see the original 1Password.agilekeychain file, which is the one that iPhone is syncing with.
how can I solve this?

1Password Version: 6.3.3 MAS
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• onelike147
    onelike147
    Community Member
    Options

hello? please help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@onelike147: Hi! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble syncing your data. I really appreciate the detailed description you gave. It makes it pretty clear what's going on. In fact, both devices are syncing with Dropbox...but using different vaults, which is decidedly unhelpful when what you really want is to use the same vault on both devices. Please do the following:

1. Verify that 1Password for Mac is currently syncing with Dropbox (Preferences > Sync)
    2. Double-check the path to your vault there (.../1Password.opvault)
    3. Disable sync in 1Password for iOS
    4. Enable Dropbox sync in 1Password for iOS and select the vault your Mac is using
    5. Merge the data if prompted
    6. Create a test item on each device and verify that it syncs to the other
    7. Delete the (now superfluous) 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox to avoid future confusion

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• onelike147
    onelike147
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty thanks for your reply.
    before I do what you suggested, I noticed that the .opvault and the .agilekeychain files in Dropbox have very different file sizes.
    the .opvault is the most recently created and the size is 3.5 MB.
    the .agilekeychain file has been in use for years since I firstly bought 1P years ago, and the size is now 11.4 MB.

so my question is, does the .opvault contain ALL of the items as the other one?
    since you told me to discard the old file after the procedure, I don't want to lose anything that could be in the old file.

thanks for helping!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016
    Options

@onelike147: GREAT question! The answer is...it doesn't matter. I'll explain though, so you don't have to just cross your fingers and hope for the best. ;)

Both 1Password for iOS and 1Password for Mac have an internal database where your data is kept, quite separate from the vaults used when you sync them to Dropbox. What this means is that even if you flat-out delete the vaults in Dropbox, each app still has your data.

Therefore, so long as between the two devices all of your data is present and accounted for, merging them in a single Dropbox vault will result in everything being combined. The only reason I suggested using the OPVault is that it's the newer format. Otherwise the most important thing is that both devices sync with the same vault.

So...my advice still stands. But you're right for questioning it. Don't take chances with your most important data! :sunglasses: :+1:

ref: WAX-72343-887

• onelike147
    onelike147
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty thank you. Everything was smooth, and now I have full sync again.
    thanks for your quick support!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks so much for following up. You're totally welcome! I'm glad that helped. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.