I have my old agilekeychain file in dropbox but no device that currently opens it. Open in Families

Options
NoMercyEh
NoMercyEh
Community Member

I have my dropbox account as it was when i had 1password on my old windows pc and android phones. It still has the agilekeychain file/folder in it. Unfortunately i don't have those old devices anymore. (PC died then lost my phone). How can I get all my old passwords out of the keychain? I've signed up for a free families trial and think i'll purchase it if i can get my old data.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Migrate from an old agilekeychain to new 1password for families?

Comments

• Hi @NoMercyEh,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. It looks like you are using a Mac now? If so you can open it with 1Password for Mac.

You can download 1Password here: https://1password.com/downloads/

And then you can learn about migrating your data here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• NoMercyEh
    NoMercyEh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,
    The problem is when i open 1password on my mac it doesn't know anything about my old vault so how am i supposed to: Select my old items to move them. There's nothing in the interface that lets me point 1Password to my old vault.

• @NoMercyEh,

Double clicking on the 1Password.agilekeychain file on the Mac should add that vault to 1Password for Mac for you. :)

Ben

• NoMercyEh
    NoMercyEh
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a ton Ben,
    Just double clicking/opening the keychain on my mac is what was missing. I didn't see that step in the previous instructions you sent so maybe you could add them? I kept trying to do it via import or other 1password menu items.

• Thanks for the update, and the feedback, @NoMercyEh. Glad to hear that worked out. :)

Ben

• mark_mcclusky
    mark_mcclusky
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I have a new computer, and cannot install Dropbox on it because of company security concerns. I have my old agilekeychain file from Dropbox, but I cannot get that data into 1Password 6 on Mac. When I double click the file as suggested above, I get the following error message:

Can't Open Keychain. Importing from keychains is not currently supported in vaults from 1Password accounts.

Please see attached screenshot.

This agilekeychain file has all of my information from years of 1Password use. Please advise on how I can get this into the new account based system.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mark_mcclusky

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Do you have the 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts option enabled? If not please try enabling that and then try again. Once you've got the vault added, you can move/copy the data to your Personal or other 1Password.com vault. After everything is settled you can disable that allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts option.

Please let us know how it turns out!

Ben

P.S. I've moved this thread to our 1Password for Mac forum, as it is no longer about iOS.

• mark_mcclusky
    mark_mcclusky
    Community Member
    Options

It was selected, but still didn't work. I solved this by logging out of 1password.com, importing the items, and then logging back in. Not terribly intuitive.

M

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mark_mcclusky

I'm sorry to hear that the process was complicated, but it's good news that you found a workaround for it. We always work to improve 1Password and we'll remember your comment in the future :chuffed: I hope that you're all set now but if you need help with anything else we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.