Setting up 1Password for my spouse

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1password on second device.

Comments

• kohlinger
    kohlinger
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. I purchased 1Password with Pro Features in December 2013 for use on my Windows PC. I also purchased the license to use 1Password on my iPhone. I want to set up 1Password on my wife's PC and iPhone for her use. In looking at the website, it appears that 1Password is only sold as a subscription service now. Does my previous purchase include setting up 1Password on my wife's devices too or do I need to now also subscribe to add her?

• Hi @kohlinger! Welcome to our forum. 1Password has changed a bit this year, and we do offer a subscription. They include everything you can get from a standalone license with some special features we could only include with a subscription. In your case, the one of interest would be 1Password Families since you'd like to get your wife started with 1Password. It's the easiest way to use 1Password with your family because it includes a lot more than just an app:

• Get all the 1Password apps. No matter which plan you choose, you (and every member of your family) always have free access to the latest versions of all the 1Password apps. Learn more about all the features included with a 1Password account.
    • Share and sync without the need of a third-party sync service. Setting up syncing with Dropbox can be confusing for some folks. With a 1Password account, simply sign in and all your data is there.
    • New vaults automatically show up for family members. When you create a new vault, you can add others in your plan to it automatically. They don’t need to do anything to see it and begin using it on their end.
    • Item History for restoring deleted or changed items. If a change was made to an item and it needs to be reverted, fret not. It can easily be rolled back from 1Password.com.
    • Recover accounts if a family member forgets their Master Password. We have always prided ourselves on our security model which has no back door. While we still can’t recover anyone’s accounts, you can now recover accounts for your family and team members.
    • View, edit, and add items from any browser. You’ll always have access to your data on 1Password.com, even if you're away from your main devices.
    • Brand new multi-factor security model for your hosted account. Since your data is in the cloud, we took some extra steps to make sure the security is even better than what the standalone version of 1Password has.

I'd recommend this for you and your wife going forward. It's the best way to use 1Password, and it's tailored for families. :) Sign up for a free trial if you'd like to take it for a spin, and learn how to move your existing data over to get started with the new account.

Alternatively, we do still offer licenses for 1Password through our store. You're welcome to purchase one for your wife's PC, and the Pro Features on her iPhone as well. I recommend a subscription over this because if you do want to share with her at one point, it makes that easier. It also gives you just one place to pay for things and store your passwords. And if either of you loses your Master Password, you've got each other covered.

Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.