Will 1Password be offering a Chromebook version any time soon?

twrecks
twrecks
Community Member
edited July 2017 in Lounge

Chromebook compatibility or plans to offer?
Please help me get out of Roboform, please.
Thanks,
Have a great day.

AgileBits Update, 6-Jul-2017:

Hello everyone! We've started beta testing a new addition to our 1Password family: a brand new Chrome extension made especially for our Linux and Chrome OS users! To learn about how you can be invited to this private beta testing, please see this announcement:

A Present for Chrome OS and Linux Users

Cheers! :smile:

1Password Version: Beta version for Chrome?
Extension Version: Chrome
OS Version: Chrome
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:chrome, kb-search:chromebook, kb-search:chrome, kb:1password-in-wine

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016

Hi @twrecks,

Thanks for your interest in switching to 1Password! We don't have a Chrome OS native app, and at this point we have nothing to announce about that. However, our new 1Password for Families and 1Password for Teams services include a web app from which you can access your secure data within the browser. Do you also use any of these platforms: Mac, Windows, iOS, or Android? I ask because, at this early stage, the web app is read-only but you can add and edit items through our native apps on those platforms.
    ref: OPA-604

• twrecks
    twrecks
    Community Member

Thanks Vee, I'll check out the one for families as I have two daughters that need to get educated about such things. Have a great week.

Rex

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great, @twrecks! If you sign up for Families before April 14, you'll get your first 3 months for free and a couple other other great early-adopter perks, with no obligation. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! And we'll be here to help if you have any more questions. :)

• Dave5150
    Dave5150
    Community Member

I was wondering if there was any word on this? I switched all my logins, etc. over to LastPass because it's web based and works across all platforms not requiring an app, so it would work on my wifes chromebook.

Well, LastPass kinda sucks in comparison, but I'm sticking with it until you guys can figure out a cloud based solution that works on Chromebooks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dave5150: The 1Password.com web interface works in Chrome on any platform, so that's an option. However, the 1Password browser extension cannot work without the app, if that's what you're asking. If Google ever decides what they're doing with ChromeOS, we'll have to take another look at the platform. I was hoping they'd announce something this month. ;)

• Dave5150
    Dave5150
    Community Member

Yeah sorry, I was referring to the extension. The web interface is ok, but the extension is really where it's at. I guess it seems (from the layman non developer) that since our passwords are already accessible online, building a secure tunnel to them from a browser extension wouldn't be a big deal, no matter what elGoog has in store for ChromeOS, Andromeda, etc.

I know I'm simplifying it though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

@Dave5150: Agreed. Using the 1Password extension to fill in the browser is really convenient. Oddly enough, as you say, making a secure connection between the server and the extension would be "easier", since often local connections are blocked by "security" software. The hard part is building an extension that has all of the form-filling power of a native app. It will be super cool if we can do that in the future though, because we aren't able to build a native app for every platform, and even where we already have one, not everyone is able to install apps (for example, on company hardware). Cheers! :)

• Dave5150
    Dave5150
    Community Member

Yeah true, the native app of 1Password does seem more solid than the extension of LastPass, but at this point I need that functionality. Good that it's easy to import back into 1Password once you guys have a solution. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.