To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How to move from old licensed version to multi-device subscription account

tallguypdx
tallguypdx
Community Member

I am currently using a licensed version of 1Password (ver. 3.8.22, build 32010, 1Password 3 - family) on my Mac and would like to move to a cloud-based account in order to be able to also use it on my iPad and keep the information synced. What is the best way to do this so that I do not lose the data that is already stored? I've looked at the information on moving existing 1Password data to a new account, but my menus don't match up with the example. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated--thanks!

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @tallyguypdx! Thanks for posting about this. The migration guide doesn't match your current menus because it's for 1Password 6. ;) Let's start by installing 1Password 6 and upgrading to it. There's no need to purchase a license for the app — just start with the free trial it has. Once that's set up, follow the migration guide as you did before and it should make sense now.

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Make sure to remove your old vault (the last step in migration) so you are fully in your account from now on. Let us know how things go!

• tallguypdx
    tallguypdx
    Community Member

Thanks Jacob! I see that the 1Password application and the 1Password.agilekeychain file are in the Dropbox folder rather than in the Applications folder. Should I move those two files to the Applications folder before attempting the upgrade, or just deal with them where they current reside? Is the 1Password.agilekeychain file my vault? Thanks again for your help!

• @tallguypdx Oh dear, how'd they get in there? Move the 1Password app out, but keep the vault file (which is 1Password.agilekeychain) in Dropbox. It is syncing to Dropbox, so there's no need to remove it. Now move your data over following the upgrade to 1Password 6 guide, then the account migration one I mentioned. Hope that helps! :)

• tallguypdx
    tallguypdx
    Community Member

Thanks again for your timely response. I'll follow the remaining steps in the next few and let you know how things went.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tallguypdx

On behalf of Jacob, you're very welcome! I hope everything goes as expected for you, we'll be waiting for your update :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.