Firefox browser extension works only if 1Password app is running

Options

Hi!

I recently updated from 1Password 4 to 1Password 6 on Windows 10 and after that I have to start the 1Password app to get the browser extension running (using Firefox). Without starting the app, the extension says the 1Password helper isn’t started.

I didn’t have to start the app to use the browser extension with 1Password 4, so I’m wondering if there is a way to get this behaviour back (using the exteions without starting the app).

Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: 6.1.272d
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @FlorianBrinkmann,

At least for now there isn't. 1Password 4 for Windows had the main application and a helper process that was loaded on startup. So really 1Password 4 for Windows was always running. 1Password 6 for Windows was originally designed to run on any Windows platform (mobiles, tablets and more traditional computing forms) and my understanding is similar behaviour wasn't possible here. Things have changed somewhat since we reworked it to also work in a desktop state hence the helper menu existing at all. 1Password will happily reside in a hidden state but like 1Password 4 for Windows it must be running for the extension to be able to communicate with it, it's just that first step is a bit more manual. This may change or there might be technical reasons that make it difficult to, it's an area I don't have the expertise to comment on.

If you have any follow-up questions at all please do let us know.

• FlorianBrinkmann
    FlorianBrinkmann
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables,

thanks for your quick and comprehensive answer! :)

1Password 4 for Windows had the main application and a helper process that was loaded on startup. So really 1Password 4 for Windows was always running.

Good to know, that makes sense. After reading your answer I took a look at the options and there is the option “Start 1Password automatically when I sign in to Windows”. I tried it and that seems to happen quietly in the background (without opening the app when starting sign in) and brings the experience from 1Password 4 :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @FlorianBrinkmann,

It looks like you've taught me something as I wasn't aware of that option. To be honest the Windows team have been working non-stop to make 1Password 6 great and I can't keep up with all the changes they make. I genuinely mean that too, I would not want to try and document 1Password 6 given the speed with which the landscape keeps changing right now :lol:

I'll have to remember that so I can give more accurate advice to others, thank you :smile:

This discussion has been closed.